Oxidation of Pliny Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfBrewing

Reaction score
I recently made a Pliny the Elder clone, and it is fantastic. I was visiting a friend out of town and filled up a couple bottles to share it. This was a quick and dirty bottling, no CO2 purging or counter-pressure or anything, as they would be consumed within 24 hours. Just a growler filler stuck in the tap. The bottles were kept cold the entire 24 hours, too.

Anyways, the beer out of the keg is fantastic, and pretty close to the original which I've been lucky enough to try recently. The bottles, however, were pretty bad. Strong DMTS taste (garlic,onion) that really overwhelmed the flavor. Pliny has a fair amount of Columbus, which can create a DMTS taste. But the keg tastes fine, so something happened from bottling.

I've never heard of DMTS becoming prominent from oxidation though. Has anybody had any experience with this?

I really dislike this flavor. Can't stand summit hops, and columbus and simcoe can get this flavor sometimes, though I don't understand the circumstances.

So, has anybody had DMTS flavor occur in an otherwise fine beer?

That's what this was. First kit I've done in 5 years I think. Out of the keg, it is one of the nicest beers I've made in a long time. After the quick and dirty bottling, though, it was pretty bad.

Did you try and bottle any after force carbing?

Back