oxiclean free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mix it about 2 to 1 with TSP 90, it will dissolve pretty much anything. So much more effective than straight oxyclean

I use the cheaper Sun Brand, but I do not use Hot water with it. I can normally soak anything in this but it may leave a film, more prevenlent when starting with a hot soultion. I try not to leave more than 3 hours and rinse well. If you get a film, Star San soak will get rid of it. It can also deliminate the Poly Sight Glass tubes if they are left to soak too long. I had one just "unwrap" as the tube has seams that I did not know where there.

I use Oxy Free as well. Works great. And it now comes from the general household fund for Walmart, so not worries from SWMBO! :D

I use this as well. I just make sure to rinse well. The guy at my LHBS said it's very similar, except that PBW has what I would describe as a "rinse agent" that ensures that it rinses off entirely the first time.

Mix it about 2 to 1 with TSP 90, it will dissolve pretty much anything. So much more effective than straight oxyclean

That's exactly what PBW is: 70% "Oxiclean Free" and 30% "TSP 90". Plus a few small additives that don't make much difference.

Oxiclean by itself works quite well. For extra cleaning power, use your homemade PBW when needed.

I also use Washing Soda, which is Oxiclean without the "Oxygen."

I use the cheaper Sun Brand, but I do not use Hot water with it. I can normally soak anything in this but it may leave a film, more prevenlent when starting with a hot soultion. I try not to leave more than 3 hours and rinse well. If you get a film, Star San soak will get rid of it. It can also deliminate the Poly Sight Glass tubes if they are left to soak too long. I had one just "unwrap" as the tube has seams that I did not know where there.

+1 to this hot water is best, if you do get film or scale from it you can also use a soak of hot water and white vinegar to remove it, Starsan works too vinegar is just cheaper, the acidity is what helps remove it.

Just make sure if you use vinegar you use distilled white vinegar other types of vinegar can leave acetobacteria on your equipment which will ruin your beer.

I mix one tub of the Sun brand oxyclean from Walmart with 1 box of TSP90. It's probably like 2 parts oxy to 1 part TSP90. Works great.

Back