PBW supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wondered about all the dairy industry cleaning products. Significantly cheaper then the brewing stuff.
I have been using a few of the dairy products for years without issue. I live in the dairy state so they are readily available. I also use PBW and a couple if other brewery wash products.

The utensil cleaner I mentioned is very high foaming so I use it for manual cleaning only; fermenter, mashtun and kegs.

Again I will post more info. Adding an attachment on my cell doesn't work. Maybe if I were teenager those things would be easier.

Dairyland (Stearns) Utensil Cleaner:
1709487363289.png

flat earther?
No there is something going on with the crystal structure of water molecules and the possibility that it's easier from them to jump into that crystal state from a higher level of chaos. It is still not fully understood afaik, but it has been proven experimentally again and again.

According to science, the probability of the Mpemba effect being observed in most situations is so low that it’s safe to assume it’s BS invalid.

Not sure what the future winters will be. I'm liking this one a lot but I think it's just a fluke season.
I hope it's a fluke. My son works for a dogsled tour company in the northern woods of WI. This year has been pretty much a bust.

I hope it's a fluke. My son works for a dogsled tour company in the northern woods of WI. This year has been pretty much a bust.
Same for my friend who plows snow. I mean I like it but I'm retired so I can deal with just about any weather. Feel bad with anyone trying to make a living. Next year it'll be back with a vengeance!

I'm not at all sure it's a fluke. Here in central Virginia we haven't had an actual winter in at least a decade. I know this isn't the northern midwest, but we used to get several winter storms every year and several weeks each winter where temps barely got above freezing for daytime highs. Now we typically get maybe one real snowfall an one minor ice storm and rarely see two days in a row where we don't hit the mid-forties. I haven't wrapped my fig trees in more than ten years and find hardly any dead wood in the spring.

I used to race cars on lake ice up in NH but we haven't been able to hold a race since 2014...
Spent the early 1990s at Dartmouth. Our house was between two lakes that used to turn into ice fishing villages in the winters. I wonder if anybody ever drives a pickup across those lakes any more.

I have been using a few of the dairy products for years without issue. I live in the dairy state so they are readily available. I also use PBW and a couple if other brewery wash products.

The utensil cleaner I mentioned is very high foaming so I use it for manual cleaning only; fermenter, mashtun and kegs.

Again I will post more info. Adding an attachment on my cell doesn't work. Maybe if I were teenager those things would be easier.
Do you use starsan after cleaning and rinsing as per the directions. I also live in the dairy state and want to try this product.
Thanks Ramjet

Do you use starsan after cleaning and rinsing as per the directions. I also live in the dairy state and want to try this product.
Thanks Ramjet
Yes, I'll sanitize after cleaning. Your choice what sanitizer you like, Starsan included.

There's also a sanitizer that Dairyland sells, Mark 10, that I use but I also have Starsan on my shelf.

By my rough calculations, the liquid PBW is significantly more expensive than the powder:
Liquid PBW -- 1 oz. per gallon of water with 32 oz. in a bottle for $27 = $ 0.84 cents per gallon
Powdered PBW -- 3/4 oz. per gallon of water with 4 lbs. (64 oz.) in a tub for $29 = $ 0.34 cents per gallon.
Put another way, the $27 liquid bottle makes 32 gallons while the $29 powdered tub makes 85.3 gallons.

Powdered PBW -- 3/4 oz. per gallon of water with 4 lbs. (64 oz.) in a tub for $29 = $ 0.34 cents per gallon.
Is that the concentration you usually use? Does that concentration work well for you? I can’t remember what the instructions say but I feel like they call for using some outrageous amount, probably to get you to burn through the stuff. I thought I was being stingy at 1oz/gal.

By my rough calculations, the liquid PBW is significantly more expensive than the powder:
Liquid PBW -- 1 oz. per gallon of water with 32 oz. in a bottle for $27 = $ 0.84 cents per gallon
Put another way, the $27 liquid bottle makes 32 gallons while the $29 powdered tub makes 85.3 gallons.
Based on European labelling, for heavily soiled stuff/highest recommended dose, liquid PBW 15g/L vs 21g/L for the powder. I normally buy 3.6kg powder, which is enough to make about 171L at recommended max strength. A 3.8L(kg) container of the liquid is enough to make about 253L at recommended max strength. As for pricing, it’s all over the place. Liquid (3.8L) vs powder (3.6kg), respectively, £65.21 (26p/L) and £55.94 (33p/L) at geterbrewed or £104.95 (41p/L) and £62.95 (37p/L) at maltmiller.

Below is what I use, off Amazon. Works great. I've made it myself also, but it's just too easy to click the button on Amazon.

I won't send any pictures of my area. I'll summarize by saying the pool is open :)

https://a.co/d/5d1ZF8O
View attachment 843199
Although I doubt it helps McMullan, for other readers, I'll second this stuff. It's cost-effective and it works well.

The instructions on the bottle actually say 1-2 oz. of liquid PBW per gallon of water and the instructions on the tub say 3/4 of an oz. of powder per gallon of water.
Reads like you might have cherry picked a lower dose for the powder, based on cleaning a lightly soiled item. In order to make legitimate comparisons, we first need to standardise to make them comparable. Otherwise bias invalidates the comparison.

Sorry. It was not intentional. Upon closer reading of the label on the powder, it recommends 3/4 oz. per gallon for fermenters, kegs, tanks and other equipment, but 1-2 oz. per gallon for kettles. At $29 for 4 lbs. (64 oz.) that equals:
$ 0.34 per gallon at 3/4 oz.
$ 0.45 cents per gallon at 1 oz.
$0.90 cents per gallon at 2 oz.

Back