oxegyen damage to my primary/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstandis

Reaction score
What a great place ........ i think i am home.

Now for my question.

I poured my fermenting beer from a 5 gallon primary to a 6 gallon primary after about 3 days as it was almost bubling over.

Since then there has been very little activity. do you think I intordusced too much air into the mix and ruined the batch?

Why did you do that? You may ruin the beer but time will tell. You should have used 2 fermenters as you need headroom for the krausen (foam). :confused:

Ales should be fermented in the primary for at least 2 weeks.

Yeah........ like an idiot after cooling i put it in my 5 gallon secondary instead of my 6 gallon primary by accident and ran out of headrooom.

At that point it was a roll of the dice.... leave it and let it be crowded, hitting the top of the secondry, or transfer it and risk runining the batch

ahh, sometimes it's good to learn lessons. I'd start thinking about batch #2 while seeing what will happen to batch #1.

Yeah, dont do that again. :(

ya know, it may be bad, but i'll bet you're fine...as long as fermentation was still taking place. those yeasties will eat up what was absorbed and the rest of the oxygen will get pushed out by the co2.

but yeah, don't do that again. next time use a siphon if you need to transfer.

Wow, I think the vets here are forgetting the key mantra of homebrewing: RDWHAHB!!!

Oxygen, while not good for beer after the aerobic phase of fermentation is more likely to only shorten the shelflife of the beer. Not ruin it from the start.

Our OP will more than likely have ample time to drink this batch before the oxidation starts to show.

OP, if you start tasting wet cardboard in your beer after a couple months in the bottle then you will know you are paying the price for your sin. Also it is not the end of the world to lose some through the top of the fermenter. That is why they call it blowoff. In fact in losing that you lose some of the bitter byproducts of the fermentation process, so next time, rather than doing something drastic: RDWHAHB

Chalk it up to experience, let it finish out and RDWHAHB while you are planning your next brew. :mug:

It's that learning curve thing. The biggest blunder I ever made was so stoopid it shall go unmentioned. :eek:

Don't let them mature at all. After you bottle just hammer them down in like 3 days to avoid the wet newspaper taste. :mug:

Well the good news is that I brewed this batch to keg for a football game in December so it will go in one day.......

Also forgive the ignorance but what does RDWHAHB mean?

Well the good news is that I brewed this batch to keg for a football game in December so it will go in one day.......

Also forgive the ignorance but what does RDWHAHB mean?

Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Yeah - you totally shouldn't have used your toilet as a fermenter.:tank:

Well, you are kind of limited to your choices in prison.
Hmmmm, which fruit snacks will I use this time for the brew?
LOL
-Me

Yea pouring is bad. But, since active fermentation was going on, it may still be salvageable. A kegger with this beer sounds like the way to go!

What is the "wet cardboard" flavor that people refer to when describing oxidation? Is it literally the smell of wet cardboard translated into a flavor, or is it a euphemism for stale? How could I purposely create this flavor in a commercial brew to understand what it tastes like?

No, the wet cardboard flavor isn't a euphemism, it quite literally smells and tastes just like wet cardboard. If you want to simulate this flavor, take a cheap beer, shake the hell out of it to get all the CO2 out of solution, pour the flat beer into a 2 liter bottle, then shake it up again. Basically, shove tons of air into a beer. Let it sit like that at least a week, taste and 'enjoy'.

Why is it that I, and I assume so many others, know what wet cardboard tastes like? I can't remember ever tasting it, but the first time I read about oxidation, I knew exactly what that taste was.

Chalk it up to experience, let it finish out and RDWHAHB while you are planning your next brew. :mug:

It's that learning curve thing. The biggest blunder I ever made was so stoopid it shall go unmentioned. :eek:

Oh come on,if you did it someone else will do the same thing at some point,and likely several people will. Confess your sin and save some brothers the trouble in the future. :mug:

Why is it that I, and I assume so many others, know what wet cardboard tastes like? I can't remember ever tasting it, but the first time I read about oxidation, I knew exactly what that taste was.

I have often wondered this and the only thing I can think of was I was a very inquisitive baby that tasted everything. I may not remember doing it, but the information is still sitting somewhere in my brain.
Not a problem until someone says this taste like crap, and somehow you know what it taste like. :off:

No, the wet cardboard flavor isn't a euphemism, it quite literally smells and tastes just like wet cardboard. If you want to simulate this flavor, take a cheap beer, shake the hell out of it to get all the CO2 out of solution, pour the flat beer into a 2 liter bottle, then shake it up again. Basically, shove tons of air into a beer. Let it sit like that at least a week, taste and 'enjoy'.

Or, get cardboard, wet it, and pop it in your mouth. Voila!

Back