Overwhelming Simcoe flavor mellow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyPete

Reaction score
Hopburst IPA is about to go into secondary. I sampled today and it's got a very strong Simcoe cat-pissy flavor and aroma. It's pretty much drowning out the other hops (Amarillo/Citra/Columbus/Cascade). It's only 2 weeks old and I plan to keep it in secondary for another 2 weeks, then in the keg for another week before carbing. So, I know, it's young but I've never used simcoe as a flavor/aroma hop. Anyone with more experience with this hop know if I will lose that musty, pissy taste with age? Instead of kegging, I think this one might end up being a bottle, wait, and hope it mellows brew.

I've done a couple of IPAs with Simcoe. I do remember having the same question. The overwhelming flavor and aroma will mellow out after a few weeks. I think 5-6 weeks after brew day it was really enjoyable and kept getting better.

Back