Overshot my temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supe_kitchen

Reaction score
So I am still dialing in my new brewstand and I wanted to really push the limits. I was making a RIS and had a 21lb grain bill in my mash tun when I made a few errors. First off I didn't heat my strike water enough and when I doughed in my temp was like 130ish, this wasn't a big deal since I have a temp controlled burner under my mash tun. The problem occurred when my temp passed 152 and kept climbing to 165, even after burner kicked off at 152. To bring things down fast I added ice to the tun and got back to 152 pretty quickly, but I never factored in the volume of liquid added and in the end I got a 1.072 gravity instead of 1.100 I was looking for. On the bright side I get more beer, but I was curious what others thought will happen to this beer. I wasn't too hot for too long so hopefully all goes well, but just thought I would add this and say respect your thermal mass.

Update (if anyone cares), the beer tastes fine, but the FG was really high, like 1.040 high. This makes me feel like I need to calibrate my refractometer, since the beer doesn't taste super sweet. It is still a little early to be finished, I drew the sample when racking onto whiskey soaked oak chips. It will sit there for 2 months, and will take another gravity reading, but I imagine it will be screwy also. Sometimes this is why I don't take measurements, because I don't like the results and I feel better not knowing what's wrong when the beer tastes good.

supe_kitchen said:
Update (if anyone cares), the beer tastes fine, but the FG was really high, like 1.040 high. This makes me feel like I need to calibrate my refractometer, since the beer doesn't taste super sweet. It is still a little early to be finished, I drew the sample when racking onto whiskey soaked oak chips. It will sit there for 2 months, and will take another gravity reading, but I imagine it will be screwy also. Sometimes this is why I don't take measurements, because I don't like the results and I feel better not knowing what's wrong when the beer tastes good.

Don't use your refractometer to get readings once fermentation starts, it won't be accurate with the alcohol.

Don't use your refractometer to get readings once fermentation starts, it won't be accurate with the alcohol.

There are numerous online, and app based solutions to counteract the alcohol correction inefficiencies of refractometers. I've tested it with BrixCalc (on iPhone) against my hydrometer and the math is sound.

Zixxer10R said:
There are numerous online, and app based solutions to counteract the alcohol correction inefficiencies of refractometers. I've tested it with BrixCalc (on iPhone) against my hydrometer and the math is sound.

Just got BrixCalc, figured out my FG was not as high as I thought...gracias

Zixxer10R said:

Ah. Sweet, I didn't know that existed

Back