Overshot my OG number

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made my first all grain recipe today that was not from a kit. Used BeerSmith to get the numbers and ran into a short problem. While heating up the strike water for first stage of the 3 stage batch sparge process the burner on my stove flamed out and thus my mash stayed in the tun 15 minutes longer than my predicted time of 60 minutes. I did open the converted cooler mash tun to check and the temp had fallen from 154 to 151 when the flame out occured.

BeerSmith predicted an OG of 1.049 and my hydrometer read 1.058 prior to adding the yeast. Thus, could the extra 15 minutes of mashing affect the numbers this much and if so will this directly affect the taste? What should I do if this type of flame out occurs again?

Thanks for any input...This was my first time using this larger size cooler converted mash tun so I don't know if an efficiency around 72% is typical.

Mick

Something like 70 or 75 percent efficiency is normal if you go over your gravity by some points like that you'll pretty much just have beer a bit more alcoholic

Thanks...According to Beer Smith the "Efficiency as calculated from actual volume" turned out to be 78.35% which seems high but there are several different efficiencies listed and I still need to learn which one stands for conversion and what the other eff listed mean.

The software had listed a 3 stage batch sparge starting with 4.57 Gal the 2 more at 1.56 Gallons each. After the second sparge I had already collected 7 gallons of liquid in an 8 gallon kettle so I skipped the last sparge to prevent boil overs. Hope this didn't affect things in a negative way.

Mick

Back