Overpowering smell in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasBuhbuh

Reaction score
So, i transferred my brown ale over to secondary about a week ago and i was pretty pleased that it smelled like beer (not great beer, but beer). I felt like checking on it (since it had been 2 weeks primary and now 1 week secondary) and i noticed fermentation picked up again. at least, it had a bit of foam covering all but the outermost inch of the surface. i couldnt smell it so i leaned in a bit more and tried again. when i finally got something, i fell backwards and started coughing a little from it. my roommate tried and he said (being a heavy smoker) that his nose kinda tickled from it. being my first batch, should that happen? im kinda hoping that it was just a largely pure co2 environment sitting in the secondary from the reactivated fermentation and i wasnt prepared for it....

Sounds like CO2, wouldn't worry about it, just don't huff it anymore.

Sounds like CO2, wouldn't worry about it, just don't huff it anymore.

Yeah someone on here has nearly passed out from sticking their head into their fermentation cooler. I can't recall who...but CO2 burns.

The smells are probably just because you kicked up some fermentation when you racked.

Back