Overnight soak in oxy now my bucket feels rough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
I did a overnight soak in my anvil bucket and now the inside surface feels rough... I have never had this issue before? Any idea how to get this off the surface?

That's surprising, stainless is rather unreactive to most oxy cleaners and sanitizers!
The only thing to avoid with stainless steel is bleach, it can cause havoc, such as pitting.

Have you tried using a stiff nylon brush or a non-scratching pad to remove the roughness? Maybe they're just "crystals" clinging to the side.

2 hours is plenty for a soak. Overnight is just inviting other issues for reasons we won't be able to accurately fathom.

Most stainless we get for food service and for beer making is 304. I bought some stainless steel clamps made from 304 SS to use on my boat that is kept in saltwater. The clamps were corroded completely through in one year. The 316L SS that I replaced them with are good 10 years later.

Most articles you read about 304 stainless being non-reactive to acidic or alkaline foods are only talking about 2 hour time periods or less, if they even bother to state the times.

Latest posts

Back