Overnight decoction mash? Faux lager with Ubbe Kveik..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davrosh

Reaction score
What are people’s opinions on doing a decoction mash and leaving the last infusion overnight?

I’ve done single infusion mashes overnight with a lot of success - always ends up fermenting a bit drier, so mashing pretty high usually works.

Basically I’m brewing a prototype for a lager type thing that I’m brewing next year for my sister’s wedding. I’m aiming for somewhere between a classic Czech Pilsner (Urquell etc..) and a more hoppy pale NZ lager using Motueka and Saaz. Keeping it simple grain wise - mainly pilsner, a bit of carapils and s tiny bit of acid malt.

The twist is I’m using WHC Ubbe Kveik, which apparently has all the characteristics of a lager yeast. (I think it’s the same as bootleg Oslo). I’ve read it doesn’t ferment as dry as some actual lager strains so maybe the extended mash might be beneficial?

Anyway. I’ve never done a decoction so interested to hear opinions and whether it’s worth it.

The enzymes denature after around 2 hours, so leaving it overnight won't accomplish anything. A decoction would even further reduce the enzyme activity.
On the other hand, it probably won't hurt anything.

I haven't done a decoction. I haven't read anything to convince me it's worth trying.

The enzymes denature after around 2 hours, so leaving it overnight won't accomplish anything. A decoction would even further reduce the enzyme activity.
On the other hand, it probably won't hurt anything.

I haven't done a decoction. I haven't read anything to convince me it's worth trying.

Leaving it overnight is more of a time saving thing so the brewday doesn’t last forever. And yeah, I’ve read a lot of reports/experiments suggesting it’s minimal difference for a lot of time and effort. But then almost every Urquell recipe states a triple decoction is absolutely necessary. I’ll admit, I’m sceptical.

Back