Overfilled CO2 bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a couple bottles filled today, they are both a couple pounds over.
The taprite on the 20# doesn't seem to care at all. But the cheap single gauge... Whatever this is (looks like a Kegco-ish) ... Is freaking out when I open the valve. Needle bouncing all over the place, relief valve sounds like an automatic Ruger 1022. Ugh!

Can I just let the thing vent through the relief?
Or should I take the whole reg off and vent by hand?
Hate just dumping the gas..

Try swapping regs between cylinders and see what happens.
Worst case you still need to vent a bit 'til the cylinder stops spitting liquid CO2 out the stem...

Cheers!

Try swapping regs between cylinders and see what happens.
Worst case you still need to vent a bit 'til the cylinder stops spitting liquid CO2 out the stem...

Cheers!
Hey thanks.
No liquid was coming out (surprisingly) but I had another regulator that was dual gauge Kegco, and it didn't have a problem with that bottle. I guess just that one has a relief set too low.
All good now!

I had the pressure relief valve go off when I had the primary regulator PSI setting turned too high accidentally. Someone (probably me) and turned the valve a few too many times, so it was set at a theoretical 70psi or something, causing the relief valve to trigger.

Back