Overcarb Drama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping4Hops

Reaction score
So basically I messed up on my first brew, a 10L (2.6 gal) DIPA, trub included. I have primed, cold crashed, fined with gelatin and will be bottling tomorrow from the primary. However I added 60 grams (2.1oz) of sugar for the priming and now I know it is going to be over carbonated if not explosive. I am considering underfilling the bottles to compensate. Anyone done this? How much space should I leave?

Why would 60 gr of sugar be too much for 10 L?

I use around 150 gr of refined organic cane sugar for 22 L, and it is perfectly carbed at around 2.5 vol of CO2.

It is 10L now w/ trub included. This translates to something between 8 and 9 L of beer I believe. Since it is my first brew I don't know how much volume the trub occupies. Does leaving more space in bottles mean more oxidation? I am planing in CO2 purging them during bottling.

This calculator will help you determine how much to use next time: https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ ( note that you need to type the fermentaiton temp. as well )

But even if you only got 8 L, 60 gr of beet/cane sugar will yield around 2.7 vol of CO2 and 9 L something like 2.55, so either way you are safe.

Normal bottles can easily hold up to 3 vol CO2.

This is the one I (mis)used. With 16C fermentation temperature, 60g of sugar translates to 2.9 vol for 8L which is borderline close to 3. IF not completely dissolved 1 or two bottles could explode. Plus I cold crashed with the sugar in it and I believe this ups the dissolved CO2 a bit, making it even higher.

I would not leave too much space in the bottle, as I am more fearful of oxidation than bottle bombs. I have plastic cases and cardboard cases, where I store my beer, and covered with a blanket. So any bottle bombs, will not create too much of a mess.

I recommend the cardboard cases, as it a bottle goes boom, the case will probably hold the " boom " inside. :)

Back