Over fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimzman

Reaction score
Hi guys, so glad I found this forum. The wealth of information seems invaluable.
It's been many, many years since I brewed and it has always been the Brewers Best kits. I brewed a batch of India Pale Ale yesterday and today the fermentation is going crazy. I've never had a batch where the beer actually escaped from the the air lock. Is this normal for this style or did I do something wrong? My only deviation from the instructions was I pitched the yeast to early (80 degrees) and I am not able to get the temp to the desired 70 even a day later. It's hovering around 76 degrees.

On the plus side, my basement sure does smell good!
Thanks for any input you may have.
Jim

I've not had an IPA escape, but I have had a few wheat beers that did. I would assume that the high temp is a factor, but how much head space is in your fermenter? What size and kind of fermenter are you using? Five or six gallon carboy? Five or six gallon bucket? The type really doesn't matter, but the size does.

Sounds like it's just a case of warm temps. The fermentation when temps at kind of high can be pretty crazy so nothing to really worry about other than making sure you don't get a clogged airlock and blow the lid of a bucket or something.

I'm betting that the high temperature is why it's so active. Yeast go crazy at warmer temperatures, and then produce even more heat from the activity so it's a vicious cycle trying to get it a bit cooler.

You can expect some fruity flavors as a result of a high temperature pitch and fermentation, but otherwise it'll be fine. I like to use a water bath in the summer, to help keep the temperature down a bit. I stick my fermenter into a cooler, add some water and a couple of frozen water bottles. That really helps. Brewing in the summer definitely has a few challenges, trying to keep the temperature in the low-mid 60s! One tip is to pitch the yeast when the wort is at the desired fermentation temperature, or even a bit lower. That way when fermentation starts and the temperature rises inside the fermenter, you're still at a good fermentation temperature.

Some yeast strains are more forgiving of higher temperatures than others, but you'll still have pretty good results even with that high temperature I'm sure.

You guys are quick! It seems unanimous that the high temp is the cause of the crazy fermantation...

homebeerbrewer - I'm using a 6.5 plastic pail for the primary. I'll be going to a glas carbouy for the secondary.

marubozo - Let's hope the top doesn't blow...it would be such a mess, but more importantly, such a waste of good beer!

YooperBrew - I've begun the water bath so we'll see what happens.

Thank you all for your quick responses.
Jim

Back