Over carbonation - too much priming sugar problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanigav7

Reaction score
I've read a couple places a few solutions to this problem but I guess I just want verification that I'm doing this right :drunk:

I basically added enough priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer to only 4 gallons that I actually had. I didn't realize this until it had been sitting in bottles for a week.
I cracked a beer open last night and it tasted fine, just over carbonated.
Determined to find a solution to my problem, I discovered that I can just open bottles, release the CO2, let them sit for a bit and recap them. This wouldn't be a problem, except when I came home from work today and opened the first bottle, I found I was probably a day or two away from a bomb. It foamed everywhere and I lost about a quarter to a third of the liquid.
So with the remaining bottles, I'm slowly easing the CO2 out, but it's foaming quicker than I can release so I'm going back and forth with each bottle letting a little bit out here and a little bit out there until I can fully take the cap off. I've been at this for about an hour so far and still not one cap is able to come off.
I guess my question is....(which may be stupid)...is the beer creating as much CO2 as I'm letting out making this task near impossible...or will it eventually come to an end??:confused:
:mug:

Sort a hard call. I've never had a beer erupt from the bottle unless it was shaken up or infected (and that just one batch).

I don't know if yours is infected but uncapping, leaving it open for a bit, then recapping seems a little risky to me.

I have had to re-cap when my roommate bottled one of my batches for me but didn't mix the priming sugar so some where bombs. I found they foam up less when they are cold. Try chilling them in the fridge and re-capping when cold. Warmer liquids have more wiggle on the molecular level and knock CO2 out of solution easier.

Back