Over carbed due to temp changes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnyg0891

Reaction score
So I have looked at the chart for carbing based on temp/vols etc. I recently converted an old mini fridge into a kegerator and the first few pours were perfect. I carbed up using the set and forget method. Recently I noticed that the kegerator was not holding temp (bottom was reading at near 20 degrees top near 40) and this is on the lowest setting. Before recieving my thermostat I had to turn it off to get temp back to normal.

My issue is that now I am pouring a ton of foam before getting to a semi clean pour. Is this due to the changes in temperature? Can I correct the issue by disconnecting gas and purging the current co2?

I want to get this corrected before I put another keg into the fridge and lose to much more beer.

Sure, all other things equal, dropping the temperature will put you on a "higher" line in our favorite carbonation table - with a resulting increase in carbonation.

A 10 degree drop - if held long enough - can easily cause a half-volume increase in carbonation (say, going from 2.5 volumes to 3).
Shut off the gas and burp the keg until it calms down. ..

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back