Outdoor Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerRef

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So long story short moved recently from WNY to the Houston TX area .... looking for thoughts on a semi-crazy? idea ...

would it be an OK idea to have a keezer outside? My idea is to build a simple keezer, nothing crazy extra and special ( wood collar that would be stained and sealed) etc

Everything would be internal ( co2 tank, temp controller module etc)...

is this really a crazy idea? the location of the keezer would be shaded ( it sits semi under a roof pass through from house to garage.. so not direct sunlight ... it would catch some rain when it rains...

there may be very obvious reasons not to do this - I've lived here all of a month so looking for thoughts on those with more local knowledge!

thanks

I have one outside in Hawaii. It sees stable temps throughout the year - 70s to low 90s with infrequent and short periods (~1wk) of high humidity (due to VOG). Been chugging along for 6 years now, no issues.

I am not sure what the operating specifications are for the refrigeration cycle on my keezer, but sustained periods of high temps/humidity or low temps are going to impact performance and longevity . . . doesnt really matter much to me, chest freezers can be had pretty cheap and the enjoyment factor is high.

thanks for the response - yeah im not too worried about its longevity being shortand a bit... I mean I don't want to replace it once a year... but if instead of 10-15 years I get 6-7 years no worries... like you said they are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things..

I live in the DFW area and have my Keezer outside (in the shade). Temps range from 105 on a hot summer day to the low 20's in the winter. The only problems I have had is that in the Summer when the temp is high I get a lot of foam on the first pour because the tap temps are so high. I pour a few ounces and dump them. Then the tap is somewhat cooler and the next pour is fine. Also, you will probably have a lot of condensation inside since the humidity is so high. I used to worry about that but then realized it wasn't hurting anything. I generally defrost mine about once per year and let the water drain out. Then spritz with a bleach solution to slow any mold growth.

Back