Out there Recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatgodzilla

Reaction score
Asking my American bretheren for help on a way out recipe for an club brew competition. Everything has to be based on the number 7, therefore not counting water or yeast I need

7 grains and / or adjuncts / hops.
Need to be 7% strength
Has to have IBU rating of at least 70.
Got to be drinkable in 7 weeks.

Racked my brain and the searched high & low but can't find anything I like. Anyone in the good ole USA and places elsewhere got a simple recipe to help.

Remember we get different ingredients in Australia so don't include anything too North American specific.

I brewed this in Feb. out of a bunch of stuff I had in the fridge. I was not looking to produce anything special, I just wanted to try my new burner. It turned out pretty good. I waited 6 - weeks to drink and I force carbed in a keg.

There are 7 malts/hops/ sugar if you count the sugar. The actual ABV was a bit higher than 7%, but that is because I had higher efficiency than anticipated. Also some brew notes are attached.

To get the IBUs up play around with the hops a bit, but I am not sure I would like it with the higher IBUs. I think 2 oz of the bittering would do it.

The grain bill was also an attemp to find my capacity. I would not do this much grain again in my 5 gallon igloo.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 79.41 %
2.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
0.50 oz Galena [13.00 %] (75 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
1.00 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (30 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.10 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 5.88 %
1 Pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL Yeast #T-58) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.04 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.72 %
Bitterness: 24.5 IBU Calories: 352 cal/pint
Est Color: 13.1 SRM

Mash Profile

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 169.4 F 152.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 21.6 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

mash start temp=156 deg
ph using 5.2 = 5.2
note: lid did not seat all the way too mush grain (at least the upper limit)
I used more like 4 gal of water (added in a gal of boiling once the grain was on the 3 gal of 170 degree water)
Sparged in 3 batches using 180 degree water. Added an additional 2 gallons of 180 degree water and boiled seperatly until the wort boiled off enough to add it in
At end of 75 min mash temp = 155 and ph = 5.2

Back