Out of town for 5 weeks, what about my low grav beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got the call for a job thats going to last five weeks out of town and I have two beers in primary fermentation. My brown ale will be fine, it just got brewed yesterday so I think a nice 35 day primary will be awesome. I'm worried about my pale mild though its already been in the fermenter for 7 days but its still active enough that I can't bottle it before I go. A 42 day primary on a beer with a gravity of 1.038 worries me, I know that low gravity brews like this do not stay fresh long. I don't use secondaries on my beers, hell I don't even have a free vessel to use if I wanted to secondary this beer due to the situation. My plan so far is to just leave them both and bottle when I get home 35 days from now. What do you guys think I should do? thanks for any info.

yes they will. The only thing I can suggest is put them in a place you can siphon from so you don't have to disturb them when you go to bottle.

Report back, I'm sure it'll be fine. I like to make low gravity beers pretty regularly, but like you said, they do start going downhill awful quickly. IME after about 6 weeks, of course thats after a 3 week primary. So far I've got 3 brews under my belt, sub 1040.

will they be ok at 72 for the whole 5 weeks as long as the peak of fermentation is over? I don't want to run the AC while I'm out of town, lol, won't 71-72 for 5 weeks be like a long D-Rest?

I always raise the temp on my ales after violent fermentation slows. I find it beneficial.

Back