Out of range OG on RIS from BB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The OG ran out of range on the BB RIS kit that I made today. At 5 gallons, after the boil was complete it came in at 1.030

The instructions recommendation was 1.078-1.082.

The recipe was :
8 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Black Patent

6.6 lb Dark LME
2 lb Dark DME
8 oz Maltodextrin

yeast was Safale, pitched at app 75 degrees, no starter.

What should I expect in the course of fermentation? Is this OG going to drastically effect the ABV or the FG of the final product?

With that much extract I find it hard to believe your OG was that low. Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

Exactly, which is why I am so stumped/concerned. I'm not a genius, but I was smart enough to earn a Master's, and so smart enough (I thought) to read a hydrometer. Nevertheless, it rest squarely on 1.030, with my buddy (a physicians assistant) also confirming.

Could it be that my hydrometer is busted? What exactly do you mean by calibrating my hydrometer?

put it in distilled water at 60F (your wort should be close to 60F too for an accurate reading). It should read zero. Sometimes, too, the paper will slide down that's inside of it. The last brew class I taught we finally got down to taking the OG ... 1.010. Without saying anything I just looked at the owner with wide eyes. Spun it again ... 1.010. Then I noticed the paper had slid down, we grabbed a new one and we hit the OG dead on.

What temp was your hydrometer sample? 1.030 at 100 degrees Celcius is actually just over 1.070. You need to do temperature adjustments for your gravity readings. As well volume can make a difference, although it shouldn't be 40 points of difference.

Could be a mix of everything people have suggested. Ex. If your sample was hot AND your volume was slightly off, this could account for the big difference.

This ^^

Also, 1.074 seems low for an RIS... what kit was this?

It was a Brewer's Best Kit.

My sample was a litte higher temperature than my pitching temp. If I recall it was about 90 when I took it.

The volume comment makes sense as well, as I had not yet sanitized my stir spoon and so didn't stir it yet.

I was getting a little nervous, but everything that everyone has said makes good sense.

I know, RDWHAHB

It's mostly extract, so it's either poor mixing or an out-of-calibration hydrometer. There's no place for the sugars to disappear to.

This brew is fermenting OUT OF CONTROL!!! It blew the lid off the airlock, spraying foam all over SWMBO's dining room wall (she was pleased). So, I rigged an impromptu blow off tube instead and there is continuos bubbling. It's amazing. I ate my breakfast on the floor watching it. :)

This ^^

Also, 1.074 seems low for an RIS... what kit was this?

yes, I have found Brewer's Best kits to be notoriously low on the REAL O.G. of all their kits. Their stated gravities are very optimistic (both O.G and F.G).

to the OP, my first B.B. kit, their Classic English Pale Ale, measured out at 1.034. I attribute this to both a mixing issue and that the measurement was taken when the wort was too warm. But a 1.030 reading from a RIS has got to be an equipment malfunction - too much of a difference to be a simple mixing problem. get a new hydro.

Latest posts

Back