Out of my bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lushife

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a thread on this but I can't find it. Have any of you stolen yeast out of one of your homebrews? Doesit work? I wanna do it with white labs Irish ale. Any tips?

I've never done it but with a bottle carbonated beer like Sierra Nevada you can carefully pour the beer out of the bottle, saving the last little bit of beer in the bottle which contains the yeast. Do this to 3 or 4 bottles, then make a yeast starter (look this up if you dont know how) and add the yeast from the bottles. You might have to step up the yeast starter a few times to get enough yeast for pitching, but it should work. Good luck!

I don't see why not. It's probably easier to do with homebrew than commercially bottle conditioned beers because you can pick one that is pretty fresh and we generally have more sediment in our bottles than commercial beers. The only issue might be that we usually use the same yeast for fermentation and bottle conditioning so it's already been through a lot of work. I've thought of doing this myself. My thought was to make a small starter as usual and pitch the bottom of 2-3 bottles of homebrew.

Latest posts

Back