Ouroboros - Simcoe Citra DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertra

Reaction score
I brewed this recipe several days ago and thought it would be worth sharing since I hit all my numbers dead on and fermentation took off like a rocket. A word of warning, I have not tasted the final product but I am pretty confident in this one.

33lbs American 2 row (94.3%)
2lbs Caramel/Crystal 60L (5.7%)

5oz Simcoe @ 90min
2oz Citra @ 90min
2oz Cascade @ 15min
1oz Citra @ 15min
2oz Cascade @ 5min
1oz Citra @ 5min
4oz Citra @ 0min

Dryhop:

6oz Citra for 14 days
2oz Citra for 5 days

Mash at 153 for 75-90 minutes, fly sparge and collect 14.5 gallons for your boil. I pitched 6 packets of US-05 which in hindsight may have been overkill so I hope I don't drop below 1.015 or so.

I ended up getting an OG of 1.097, so I added approx. .5 gal of water to each fermenter landing me at exactly 1.090.

Cheers.

Opened this up after 7 days to dry hop and it is sitting at 1.019-1.020. 1.017-1.018 is ideal so I am pretty confident I can hit that. The aroma from the hops is overwhelming, very excited.

That's a large amount of yeast if those were 11g packets. Mr.Malty recommends 3 packs, so unless the yeast was really old or they were 5.5 packs then you really should have only pitched 3 or 4. Unless you didn't rehydrate in which case you could have probably gone up a little. I'm thinking your beer might be done as the super fast increase in alcohol from a fast fermentation may have shut the yeast down early. You made it below 1.020 though, so it should still be good.

I didnt rehydrate, and I usually don't. Anecdotal evidence around the site seems to suggest it doesn't really show any noticeable difference. Beersmith told me I would need 5 packets.

Don't know how this is going to turn out, but I can say I'm pretty annoyed you wasted almost half a pound of nearly impossible to get hops as a bittering addition.

Really? I had no trouble finding them near me. My LHBS had like 3 pounds of citra and simcoe laying around which is why I decided to do this one.

Just bottled this yesterday and it tastes amazing. The gravity finished exactly at 1.018 which was my target FG. Will be looking for some contests to enter with this one for sure.

Latest posts

Back