Our first "Saison", Q for after fermentation -->?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitALEity

Reaction score
Just did our first Saison style beer. Is there a need for a secondary? If not, how long should I leave it in bottles until I drink? I know there is no exact anser, but will 2 weeks be enough or will I want to wait a few months with a Saison?

Here is what we did:

Partial Mash
WLP Saison Ale Yeast
6.5lbs light LME
1lb Belgian 2 Row
1lb flaked wheat
1/2lb vienna
1/2lb munich
Hallertau (2oz at 60min)
Saaz(2oz at 20min)
a small handfull of Fresh lemon peel, orange peel, black pepper, indian long pepper, licorice, fennel and star anise for last 10 min of boil

You're going to get 100 answers.

You can do 1 week primary, 2 week secondary, 3 weeks in the bottles if you want, you can do 2 or 3 weeks in the primary, heck you can do a 10 day primary if you want then bottle. All a matter of what you want to do. Only thing keeping you from bottling is to make sure that it has finished fermenting. To do that, simply take a reading for 3 days straight, if the gravity goes unchanged, bottle it.

For a beer like this, I would just do 2 weeks in the primary then toss it in the bottle, no need to secondary really.

It takes 3 weeks minimum for a beer to be properly bottle conditioned. You could drink it after 2 weeks though if you want, no harm.

Ya, I wouldn't worry too much about a long secondary, if you want to secondary at all. However, I would let it age a bit before I popped one open. Somethin closer to 4-6 weeks. Only gonna get better by that time.

FWIW...
We just finished one up, and it sat in the primary for 4 weeks, then bottle conditioned for 4 weeks. Turned out nice.
I'd be more concerned about fermentation temps, and hitting final gravity.

Latest posts

Back