Our Cat attacked my son

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aunts raised rabbits. SWMBO's mom had a pet chicken. One of my aunt's was in her late 30's before she ever got a pet that she didn't plan on eating.

Animals. That's where meat comes from, dontchaknow. The fact that some people understand that animals are for eating doesn't make them any worse as owners of the animal.

All I've done really is extend that logic out to "less edible" animals. :)

Sure, they're technically still edible, but I'm not eating a dog or cat. Nevertheless, I don't see my lack of interest in eating my dog to be a justification for changing the perceived relationship between pet and owner. That relationship has been around, and has worked just fine, for millions of years...

Methinks I hear the alcohol talking now...

Ultimately, isn't the level of care given to any animal - whether edible or not - determined by (1) any legal requirements that may exist and (2) whatever the owner thinks is appropriate? We can argue about what we think is responsible and irresponsible pet ownership, but that's largely subject to opinion.

Yuri just close the thread,I regret even mentioning it.

You have my apologies. I was biting my tongue until one person accused another of being a bad owner and that just sort of set me off. These are all very personal decisions and I can appreciate and respect that.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide is right for you and your family.

You have my apologies. I was biting my tongue until one person accused another of being a bad owner and that just sort of set me off. These are all very personal decisions and I can appreciate and respect that.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide is right for you and your family.

No, it wasn't you. I agreed with most of your rant, but certain things just pissed me off to the point where im getting way to out of hand right now. its easier for a mod to close the thread. If anyone wants to know what the vet says pm me. IT pisses me off that im a bad pet owner for not potentionally spending a rent check on my cat. I dont want to get banned for saying something I shouldn't.

Methinks I hear the alcohol talking now...

Ultimately, isn't the level of care given to any animal - whether edible or not - determined by (1) any legal requirements that may exist and (2) whatever the owner thinks is appropriate? We can argue about what we think is responsible and irresponsible pet ownership, but that's largely subject to opinion.

Actually, I hadn't had a drop up to that point. But now I have. :drunk:

The bottom line is this. There is no way to put a dollar amount on the companionship that a pet provides to us. Anybody who would trade their dog or cat for $50,000 is a lousy owner, IMO. However, it's one thing to say that you wouldn't trade your pet for money. It's another thing to say that people should be obliged to spend money on an animal when its care is beyond what they can afford.

Again, I'm trying not to be too wicked here. I love animals and I truly believe my pets get a fantastic life. However, like Riclark said, if it's a question of a rent check, or keeping my car so I can go to work, or worse... there comes a time when, as freakin sad as it is, you have to just say, "I can't do it."

It sure as hell sucks. And each person's situation is different. And I think anyone who supposes to know what the proper dollar amount is to spend on an animal can freakin stuff it. It's a personal decision. A *very* personal decision. I was adamant that I wouldn't spend a lot, but I wouldn't dream of saying you were a bad owner if you did. Of course, like I said, pet ownership (unless you eat the animal or profit from it) is a selfish ego-centric thing. It's like owning a sportscar or a fancy house. It's what you can afford to do.

And anybody who feels strongly about it is probably just fine as an owner whether they can afford $10 or $10,000. I, for one, truly believe, that even if dogs or cats had their choice, they wouldn't be looking at your pocket book when they decided who they were going home with.

Some animals are just luckier than others. It doesn't make the rest of us bad owners merely because one's financial situation may be worse than another's.

Just my $0.02

Sorry again.

RICLARK, I don't envy your position. Hope you find a solution that works for the cat and the family.

Cat attacks child. THANK your GOD that a claw didn't hit an eyeball and render hit blind in one eye or both.

Take him to a shelter and explain what happened, so any future owners know what they are getting themselves into, but do NOT let the beast continue to live in your house.. the next attack could BLIND your child. Talk to me about being a bad pet owner when you son is blind in one eye or both....

That's the tamed down, PC version of what I really wanted to say.. which involves a burlap bag, a river and a rock... or the short version ... which I won't share other than to say"Carbon Monoxide"

I don't hate cats... or any other animals but any "Domestic" animal that attacks a child.. leaves the house.. forever.

Yuri just close the thread,I regret even mentioning it.

No reason to lock this thread. It may not be going the way you wanted it to, but, but not all threads do....

We have 2 members that are working out their difference of opinion, but I would prefer to see that play out for the best, rather than see another thread locked for no good reason.. we are all adults here... until proven otherwise.

Upon request of the OP (and because it's getting wicked personal), I'm locking the thread. RIClark, send me a PM when you get the diagnosis; I'm worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back