other than beer fave' alcoholic beverage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Morgan Reserve and Diet Coke - mixed in a large insulated cup with a handle - I am in Florida after all.
And I keep a liter of Absolut in the freezer - icy vodka shots are my variation on Achille's heel.

Back in my liqour days I had two favorites:

The Perfect Tom Collins: Add three ice cubes to a collins glass (think rocks glass, similar volume but skinny and tall instead of short and fat ). Add gin (ideally, Magellan or Tanquery Ten ) until the ice floats and makes a gentle "clink". Add a brief squeeze of a quarter lemon and a dash of simpe syrup ( if unavailable, teaspoon of table sugar will do; it just requires more stirring to dissolve). Stir with a bar spoon until well mixed. Top with club soda. Garnish with a cocktail cherry (drain and add carefully to prevent the juice from turning the drink pink) and a wedge (not to be confused with a slice ) of orange.

After consuming too many perfect Tom Collins', I find another drink to be much more practical.

The Minimalist Martini: Three parts gin, no parts vermouth, screw the olive and f**K the glass.

Maybe that's why I stopped drinking hard alcohol.

A good Zinfandel. NOT the pasty kind, who ever came up with white zins needs to be dipped in Nighttrain & lit.

-Lagavulin (16yr) for whiskey. It's got to be the best Islay malt I've ever had.
-In the summer, nothing like an authentic margarita... with 100% Blue Agave Tequila, Cointreau, and fresh squeezed lime juice.
-For a gin martini- Bombay... and not the Sapphire- too many botanicals
-For a vodka martini- Stolichnaya Gold (VERY smooth)
-Nothing wrong with a good cider now and then... Strongbow, nice and dry.
-I have an appreciation for wine too, but don't drink it much- Cabernet, Petite Syrah, and a good German Riesling.

I like it all !! My bar has Bombay Saphire for gibsons (I like a little more vermouth then most). Johnny Walker Black label, neat. Kettle one in the freezer for shots. Old fashions and Manhattans. Margaritas made with a splash of grapefruit soda. Red wine and Champagne cocktails. Call me what you want but I like fruity rum drinks too....Mai Tai or Pina coldas. These are a few of my favorite things - Dirk

david_42 said:
A good Zinfandel. NOT the pasty kind, who ever came up with white zins needs to be dipped in Nighttrain & lit.

It was Beringer. Legend has it that it was a mistake. They left the skins, seeds, and stems in for a bit too long.

Scotch- Single malts: straight up. Blends: on the rocks.

Manhattans, Gin n Tonics, Windsor--whatever Ive got a hankering for at the time

Mr. Stimey, we need to PM about single malt scotch.

For me, if im not in the mood or just refuse to drink the available beer at a bar, its scotch, neat, as the next choice, logically followed by whiskey or bourbon.

I enjoy good Tequila on the rocks, or in a margarita.

Scotch - Single Malts first, johnny walker black as my favorite easily available blend.

Back