Other hobbies besides homebrew..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motorcycles (2004 Honda VTX 1300C, 1981 Honda CB900C). Both are complete runners. I had to replace the entire charging system on the 900, and I still have the scar below my right eye from attempting to press in a new fork seal for the 900 as well. Maybe I should post that under "Don't Do That".

I make yogurt. I have been doing this for about two years. I have finally gotten my schedule correct so I have been using a starter from the previous batch to make the next batch. I'm about 6 months into this starter.

I make soap. It started out as a way to dispose of the oil from frying turkeys at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Make soap to solidify everything and toss it in the trash. A funny thing happened...we tried using the soap as soap and liked it. We have given the soap away and gotten rave reviews. Yes, I have even made a homebrew IPA soap with hop pellets as a botanical additive. We now have a niece who wants to learn the process.

Used to be into motorcycles, just never had time to ride.

Cars took the front runner for a while, I have a 1980 VW rabbit pickup that always needs something, and I swapped a '98 TDI into a 1990 VW Corrado, full ODB2 electronics, - its sitting wait for a bit more work before road time.

Beer and dogs are my daily ones. Plus I swim, for mental and physical health.

I ski in the winter- might push myself into hiking+skiing, but I prefer downhill only for now.

Just did a sprint triathlon on Sunday- that might become a thing for me... which would require me to improve my road biking.

I make stuff with my hands, including leather shoes, furniture etc. I rock climb (mainly boulders at the moment) and ride bicycles (bmx for about 12 years, road bikes a few years and now building a Santa Cruz Highball 29'er for mtb). It's hard to find time for all my hobbies between working and architecture school, but I'm happy!

I ride bikes, play drums and a little guitar (although not as often as I should), read, listen to/buy music, hike. I could probably use another hobby to be honest, a lot of those don't occupy all that much of my time.

I play the guitar, photography/editing photos, I press and make longboard skateboards, collecting/discovering new music and records, love to cook/slow cook/smoke meats, snorkel/swim/fish, play pool, drawling and painting, working on my truck, traveling, etc...

I pretty much love anything that has self expression involved in it. I have too many hobbies... I've actually been thinking about cutting back on them. I'm a jack of many trades but a master of none. I think the closest thing I've come to "mastering" is brewing. I love my beer and I'm happy with just about every beer I make.

unicycling, mountain biking, pottery, motorcycle riding/tinkering (klr 650), bread making, pretty much anything I see and say, "hmm... I really need another hobby right now..."

BBQ
Bass guitar (Cliff Burton / Steve Harris / Geddy Lee / Dave Ellefson)
Weapons / target shooting
War history nut
Documentries of all types
Music - aggressive and loud (ala Slayer / Maiden / Motorhead...)
Posting on Beginer's Forum telling them - "yes...it is ruined...ship it to me...)

Failed hobbies that had to be ditched:
Unicycle
Juggling
Juggling while riding a unicycle
Glass blowing

Sailing
Fly Fishing/Fly tying/rod building
Wood Working & Saw-milling
Mountain Biking
Engine building/Car restoration
Golfing

Also Use to:
Ski....Still do, just never go.
Rock Climb
Major Peak climb
Raft... still do occasionally fly fishing
Hunt
Shoot trap...Still do once in a blue moon
Reload.... Still have all the crap.
Scuba Dive ..Still have all the crap.
Fly RC planes/Gliders and Real planes...Still have all the RC crap.
Back pack

and I just recently started getting back into model rocketry. One day I also hope to a get a private pilot license.

What do you guys like to do?

Well, I got back into model rocketry(did it as a kid)..Kind of took it to the extreme..Buying kits left and right, joining both national sport rocketry organizations, buying even bigger kits, get to L3..and then it just kind of petered out.. Half of my 10x20 shed is rocketry related!:eek: And now getting into homebrewing, got a lot of equipment and enough 5 gallon kits to brew almost 100 gallons!..LOL I guess when I get into a hobby, I GET INTO a hobby!LOL

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I too have the dream of one day having a private pilots license..Just may go LSA though, less strict on the medical, though I am sure I would pass for the regular..

Other than brewing I play Slack Key Guitar and I distill - mostly calvados, rum, and whiskey.

For years I played bass in a pop band - toured and put out records....met a lot of cool people (and some jerks). Happy now to just play Hawaiian guitar, brew beer, and make my own distillations after spending the day at my government job.

Gardening
Landscaping
BBQ/smoking
Cooking
Hiking/Backpacking
Trail Maintenance
Skiing
Anime

...I guess when I get into a hobby, I GET INTO a hobby!LOL

I am very much the same. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I don't really pick up much for hobbies anymore. I say that like I'm old, I'm really not (early 30's).

Here's stuff I'm into:

drums/music
cycling
hiking
cooking
coffee
reading

None of which occupy all that much time but are enjoyable and relaxing. I like a life of leisure, so a lot of time is spent relaxing, drinking beer and trying to be as stress-free as possible.

I used to golf (a lot), train ving tsun kung fu, and build model cars.

I have recently decided I'm going to order a 3D printer and start printing cool stuff. For the time being I will be downloading projects to print until I re-learn CAD software (havent used any since high school). I'm pretty pumped to start this and I am researching printers right now. I think I am going to start off with a DIY kit printer for my first one, they run right around $400 or so.

I have recently decided I'm going to order a 3D printer and start printing cool stuff. For the time being I will be downloading projects to print until I re-learn CAD software (havent used any since high school). I'm pretty pumped to start this and I am researching printers right now. I think I am going to start off with a DIY kit printer for my first one, they run right around $400 or so.

I will let you do the research, please tell us which one you pick and why. I am also going to be in the market for one of those for my kid. I think he underestimates the difficulty of CAD programs that involve anything more than straight lines, like doing the compound curves and radii, connecting two surfaces that aren't exactly smooth or parallel. Will be good learning though and better than spending the worthless time on Halo or Call of Duty.

what don't i like to do may fit better...

carpentry (mostly furniture, but currently looking for a home to remodel and live in)
backpacking/hiking/camping
fly fishing
guns
gardening (like,eventually growing enough fruits/veggies that i won't have to buy any)
making soaps
volleyball
disc golf/ultimate frisbee
playing softball
watching baseball
mountain biking

You don't like a lot of stuff.

I run. Started out with 5Ks, worked myself up to marathons and now primarily run ultramarathons (anything longer than a marathon, but races are typically 50K, 50 miles, 100K or 100 miles). Yes, it is ridiculous. I tell ya what though, nothing tastes quite as good as a cold beer after running 30+ miles in the mountains. And, I've found that ultrarunners also tend to be craft beer drinkers (despite Michelob Ultra's attempt to brand itself as the beer of choice for athletes). Really, it's a damn good thing I run as much as I do or else all of this beer drinking would really catch up with me. :mug:

Hiking, camping, shooting, reading, crossfit and traditional lifting, building things with my hands, knife making, traveling and seeing new places is a big numero uno though.

Back