Other hobbies besides homebrew..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really have any decent pictures since I added the wheels and sport struts, but this is my other money sucking hobby. It's a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo SS dropped an inch, cat back exhaust, down pipe, ported throttle body, ported manifolds, air intake, most of the interior lighting converted to blue LEDs and of course window tint.

Photo_103010_003.jpg

100_1878.jpg

It's actually gotten to the point that driving it on the highway for long stretches is pretty punishing, so I picked up a beater last month (98 Oldsmobile Intrigue).

becoming a pharmacist
working on old cars (currently restoring a 77 VW bug)
Former semi professional mural artist so i still paint/draw
Former touring musician. I still play in a "band" but we are all in different parts of the country and only record.
vintage bicycles
vintage records
early 20th century antiques

I spin a little dubstep.

Here's a rough mix I did a bit ago:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236918/2-4-2011 mini mix (dubstep).mp3

I have a new one in the works that's much more technical, I'm gonna be really proud of it.

I'm also kind of a computer nerd so I play around with that on the side and fix my family and friends' computers and stuff. I'm really into Starcraft 2 as well, I've played sc for 12 years and just love the depth of it.

other than brewing, I enjoy:
skeet shooting
hunting/fishing
classic cars(currently restoring 86 mustang LX, not really classic, but always liked the Foxes)
motorcycling
snowmobiling
Im also an amature banjo player, and my buddies and I got a little bluegrass/folk/Christian band called The Straw Walkers.

When I'm not brewing... I'm honing my wine skills. My wife and I have had over 100 different varietals (read: grape varieties) in wine form. And as always, I'm cooking the food to pair with the beer or wine.

Technically, I live with a corkscrew in my hand and feel comfortable around a burner and cookware. Too bad I work at a hospital for my 9-5.

I would say reading, outdoor activities (when the weather up here is good), movies, video games with my kiddo. Lately, I've actively pursued the scheming on how to make a buck on the side hobby. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Focus

hmm i have extensive list but my couple larger ones

restoring cars
car shows
Shooting/collecting guns
Design work (find anything to make or build)
Composites along with design work make things out of fiberglass and carbon fiber
gardening (basically so i don't have to buy veggies)
photography
carpentry
hiking
fishing
camping
golf
volleyball
grilling/cooking

I love to hunt and hike the mountains in my homestate of Montana, I own a Mobile DJ business as a side business so into music, playing poker, and recently I have been trying to see a lot of concerts I love live music.

But the biggest of my other hobbies is BBQ. I am the team captain of a competitive BBQ team called The BBQ Nerds, SWMBO gave us the name. We only do a few comps a year, but I spend a lot of time cooking and building smokers. Its a lot like homebrew, once the bug gets you its an addiction.

Lots of things keep me occupied, really when you look at it, a very STRANGE mix -
Photography
Geocaching - this is my primary hobby
Cooking - not as much as I once did now that the kids have grown and taken over the kitchen
Crocheting - I need to keep my hands occupied while riding in the car
Quilting
Reading
Music - I used to play now just listen
Cigars

I have a 28ft travel trailer, and love to camp, one of our favorite spots is Myrtle Beach! Can't wait to go this summer and sit in the summer sun drinking some of my very own HB!

A while back I replied to this thread mentioning I was into music, esp. vinyl playback, so I thought I'd post a couple of pics of the turntable I recently put together (I built the base for the drive unit and tonearm):

complete_3.jpg

close up of the cartridge in action:

cart_1.jpg

I have a 28ft travel trailer, and love to camp, one of our favorite spots is Myrtle Beach! Can't wait to go this summer and sit in the summer sun drinking some of my very own HB!

I've taken a bottles & kegs tent camping in the myrtle beach area, built a jockey box last year, no more bottles while camping for me! Makes for a fantastic trip!

I make it to myrtle quite often since I'm close by, saltwater fishing is going to turn on soon. Bunker reported in the surf & water temps around 59°... 10 more degrees and it's going to be fish-on time!

Other things I enjoy are fixing old Volkswagens and motorcycles, playing music (ties into my career), digital art and I just recently started getting back into model rocketry. One day I also hope to a get a private pilot license.

What do you guys like to do?

I also do the rocketry thing....All the way up to the lower to mid region of the high power levels.

I umpire baseball....from the 8/9 years olds through adult amateur leagues. Not sure it can be considered a hobby since I get paid though. Of course that means I am a pretty huge baseball fan which leads to fantasy leagues and card collecting.

Then of course I have a family and a house which takes up all of my non-working time so my hobbies, including homebrewing, get neglected.

Back