Ordering Liquid Yeast Online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markag

Reaction score
I've got a brew day planned out two weeks from now. My recipe calls for German ale/kolsch yeast (white labs 29 to be specific). I went to the local home brew store yesterday to get everything I needed, but they didn't have the yeast. They didn't have any kolsch yeast as a substitute either.

I'm looking for suggestions on ordering online. I'm pretty new to homebrew still, my previous batches were all 1 gallon kits purchased from Amazon that came with everything ready to go.

I see Amazon has a listing for white labs German ale/kolsch, as well as a couple wyeast German ale or kolsch options. The only review on the white labs option stated that the yeast were all dead. I've seen that on northern brewing too for the same yeast.

I guess I have a few questions:

1. Where do you guys source your yeast from online? I can get the stuff from Amazon for about $12 shipped. It's there a better option? I don't want to pay an arm and a leg, but I want my beer to turn out too.

2. Do I need to really worry about the negative reviews claiming dead yeast? Or, is it one of those deals where you only hear the bad stuff, and it isn't really that big of a problem.

3. Is one brand better for ordering online? (white labs or wyeast)

Thanks for the help.

Did you ask when your local store would get their next order? Mine gets a shipment every two weeks. In your case, you'd be all right.

I have had good luck having yeast shipped from Morebeer. I feel more comfortable getting yeast shipped in non-summer months, but I have no science to support that fear. I bet you are two-day shipping from their PA outpost.

I have received good White Labs yeast in the mail from Austin Homebrew, Brew Brothers, Midwest Supplies, Northern Brewer and Seven Bridges, even in the summer.
Because you seem concerned, I would use either Midwest or Northern Brewer because they are closer to you. It's winter. You shouldn't have a problem.

OTOH, White Labs suggests 19 different options for Kolsh.

Me, I would tend to use what the recipe called for.
But if concerned about shipping (viability or cost), I'd see if your LHBS has any of the other 18 options, especially WLP036 or WLP003.

Order from the closest place to you and ship with ice pack, but it is winter so you might not worry. I have ordered many times and never had a problem even in 90 degree summer.

I would see if your LHBS has a decent substitute. How about WLP003?

If you decide to mail order, make sure to check the shipping on that lone pack of yeast. Maybe there are a few other things to order along to make the shipping worthwhile.

Stay away from WY2565 though! It's a slow moving yeast and tends to stall at any time.

I just ordered some Wyeast London Ale III from morebeer, it got to me (in WI) just a few days later and it is happily fermenting my sweet oatmeal stout. I got some Schill Kolsch malt and some Wyeast Kolsch yeast for a brew I'm planning in the next week or two.

Chris White with White Labs seems to be doing a lot for the homebrewing community so I want to buy that brand, but I really like the convenience of a Wyeast smack pack. I brew 1-3 gallons at a time and when I have a new smack pack I don't have to make a starter, I just smack it while I'm collecting my strike water, and by the time my wort is chilled it is usually sufficiently inflated.

I didn't ask my local store if they had any alternates. He kind of mentioned that he didn't have any other kolsch yeast, but that was about it. The problem with my local store is that it is about 40 minutes drive away, and is about 80 minutes from my work. It isn't really convenient to get there. It might be worth a call to see if they have something in stock.

The problem I have with ordering online is that Amazon has spoiled me. ;)
I hate having to pay for shipping, and paying 8 bucks or more to ship a pack of yeast seems a little high. I get that not everyone is amazon and I'm willing to pay reasonable shippong to make sure I get viable yeast. I just want to order from a reputable place that has reasonable shipping costs.

Interesting point on the wyeast 2565. I was thinking about trying that instead of the WLP029.

Would you guys recommend doing a starter for a 2 gallon batch if I mail order my yeast? The recipe only calls for half a vial of the white labs wlp029. I was planning on just pitching the full vial.

I ended up ordering from northern brewer, and I ordered one of their yeast starter kits so I didn't feel so bad about paying 8 bucks to ship a vial of yeast. I'll get use out of the starter kit, so it worked out.

Back