Russian Imperial Stout: WLP (Abbey IV) more or less = Wyeast 1762 (both ostensibly Rochefort)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This for a RIS, and looking for a good, high-abv tolerant strain that suits the style. Do I understand correctly that the White Labs 540, though listed as a Belgian strain, is actually a British strain, Rochefort, clean but complex? And is Wyeast 1762 at least a decent substitute?

Even better, if I can get ahold of it, would be Rochefort 10 dregs (i.e., same strain, and viable, despite long storage in a high-abv bottle)?

Indeed, WLP540 is a cousin to English strains such as Nottingham and S-04, but seems it might be a POF+ strain meaning that it might produce clove and pepper phenols, at least under some conditions. Based on the following link, I'd expect it to accentuate raisin, fig, and earthy characteristics from the malts as well, and it apparently has a relatively low attenuation / high finishing gravity, so you might wish to add simple sugars or mash long to help dry it out some, or just enjoy it thicker and heavier.

https://web.archive.org/web/2020111...05149792&hwt=0891a20833ee9939434ccf0c3ffbcc0d
Wyeast 1762 has never been genetically tested as far as I know. The old lore that it is "equivalent" to WLP540 thus remains unrefuted at present time, or there is little to either support or refute one way or the other. Probably worth a try, though, IMO, especially given the high expense of White Labs packs these days.

If you want to try pitching dregs, good luck. I've not had great luck myself.

Hope you brew something you love.

Indeed, WLP540 is a cousin to English strains such as Nottingham and S-04, but seems it might be a POF+ strain meaning that it might produce clove and pepper phenols, at least under some conditions. Based on the following link, I'd expect it to accentuate raisin, fig, and earthy characteristics from the malts as well, and it apparently has a relatively low attenuation / high finishing gravity, so you might wish to add simple sugars or mash long to help dry it out some, or just enjoy it thicker and heavier.

https://web.archive.org/web/2020111...05149792&hwt=0891a20833ee9939434ccf0c3ffbcc0d
Wyeast 1762 has never been genetically tested as far as I know. The old lore that it is "equivalent" to WLP540 thus remains unrefuted at present time, or there is little to either support or refute one way or the other. Probably worth a try, though, IMO, especially given the high expense of White Labs packs these days.

If you want to try pitching dregs, good luck. I've not had great luck myself.

Hope you brew something you love.
Thanks very much. Appreciate the help. đź‘Ť

I used The Yeast Bay's Belgian Dry (liquid yeast) The literature says 83%-100* attenuation STA-1 POF+.
It's my go to for big beers because I can control the POF+ by fermentation temps. It also is high glycerol producer so beers that finish low have great mouth feel but are very digestible. At this time I'm using this yeast only in my Dupples and Triples, and Notty in my RIS's

Latest posts

Back