Ordered Grist incorrectly... should I even bother?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelbBrew

Reaction score
I'm absolutely spewing at the moment! I ordered milled grain from my LHBS as per usual and particularly remember being rushed whilst doing so. Anyway... I meant to order 55 grams (~2 oz) of Roast Barley and 55 grams (~2 oz) of Extra Dark Crystal. So what did I do... I ordered 550 grams (over 1lb.) of each. The recipe was for an Irish Red Ale I was really tee'd up about. This is like meaning to add a dash of salt to a recipe and adding the lot.

I started mashing in and thought the colour was way off. Checked my online order receipt and sure enough I'd mucked it all up. Should I even bother or should I clear out tun and call it a day?

I've gone from 1% of grist for each grain to 10% for each. What I have is a big mess.

So bloody frustrated. What would you do?

Last edited:
How much base malt? Could still be a passable stout, if you get the gravity high enough

Maybe remove a portion of the wort and add more base malt or LME/DME to get a drinkable stout. If you get them down to around 12 oz each plus 10-12 lbs of base malt, you’d be ok.

You might be able to salvage something by adding more base malt, but I might cut my losses and try again. Got anything on hand to improvise with?

as an update....

I tipped out the lot! I'd like to pretend to be all holier than thou and say, "I'd rather tip out the lot then settle for mediocre beer". It's the first batch I've ever had to cut my losses on in 2 years of brewing. Sad day, but I reckon it happens to everyone. No one to blame but myself.

I don't know that I've ever been so frustrated with myself! Oh well, onward.

Cheers

I would have brewed that. 10% roast barley is on the high side but in the ball park. Same for crystal. I would have chucked in up to 1kg of oats into the mash since you probably have them at home already. This lessens the impact of all that crystal and gives you more abv to imperialise things a bit.
Anyway, it happens, move on.

I think you could have turned it into a decent Stout....to be honest, one of my best beers came from a mistake. well it happens to the best of us.

Back