Order of early upgrades

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3greubs4

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I've been brewing for a couple months and I've read a couple books and poked around here a bunch. I'm really enjoying it so far and am interested in moving to some of the more complicated processes. The 3 things I've been looking at are yeast starters (so I could start using liquid yeast, proper pitch rates), getting a temperature controller (happen to have a spare chest freezer that isn't used), and then finally all grain ( bigger pot, outdoor burner). Now I know the cost of those 3 is very different but I was wondering if anybody had recommendations about the order they would approach these considering cost, beer quality, and added enjoyment. Thanks in advance.

Of those I would vote:
1) temp control: possibly the single biggest thing you can do to improve the quality of your beer
2) yeast starters: nothing wrong with quality dry yeast but using liquid expands the selection
3) all grain: definitely gives you more control, but I would get the other things in order first. You can easily start with partial mash just using your current equipment and a grain bag.

Temp control then larger pots and burner wait for the all grain till you get the processes down I would do the yeast starters before the all grain.:)

If you know you're going all grain, just bite the bullet now. It'll give you so much more control and the process is downright fun. Fun is what it's all about.

You can do yeast starters in a growler or just brew a gallon of beer.

Temp control is cake with a plastic tub filled w water, an old comforter and a few frozen water bottles. You really only need to maintain temp for the first few days anyway. swapping a bottle in the morning and then the evening is all it takes. I have no problem maintaining temp +\- one degree with this method

Scratch that. I see that you have access to a chest freezer. Grab a temp control now. Use it to ferment till you can afford some kegging equipment!

Of those I would vote:
1) temp control: possibly the single biggest thing you can do to improve the quality of your beer
2) yeast starters: nothing wrong with quality dry yeast but using liquid expands the selection
3) all grain: definitely gives you more control, but I would get the other things in order first. You can easily start with partial mash just using your current equipment and a grain bag.

+1.. Temperature control is definitely the biggest improvement you can make, and pitching the correct amount of yeast (and oxygenation) is a close second.

You have a freezer, buy a controller.
See if you can pick up a used turkey fryer for $20.00 or so. Burner plus pot, $20.00.
A new burner is around $50.00, and pot prices are all over the place . The burners that come with turkey fryers will boil a 15 gallon pot easily.
Get comfortable with the process of brewing, and then decide what size pot you are going to need.

Temperature controller is easily the best improvement of that batch. Controlling fermentation temperatures was the single biggest improvement in my beers. After that, I'd go with the bigger pot to have the ability to do full boils, which gives better hops utilization. Before all grain, I'd add an immersion chiller in the mix so you can eliminate ice baths and such for cooling. Going from boiling to pitching in less than 15 minutes is a huge improvement as well. You can do yeast starters without a stirplate, though the stirplate definitely helps. I'd start experimenting with them now. Once you have your other processes pretty much down, then I would move to all grain. Just my opinion.

I appreciate all the responses, I had grabbed an immersion chiller after doing an ice bath for my 1st batch and I'm glad I did. For the doing the yeast starter in the growler how do people top it? I've seen people talk about sanitized tin foil but have also seen kits that come with either a foam stopper or an airlock (which I've seen people say doesn't allow for enough O2). Is tin foil fine or would grabbing the 50 cent foam stopper be better, or is there some even better option?

I appreciate all the responses, I had grabbed an immersion chiller after doing an ice bath for my 1st batch and I'm glad I did. For the doing the yeast starter in the growler how do people top it? I've seen people talk about sanitized tin foil but have also seen kits that come with either a foam stopper or an airlock (which I've seen people say doesn't allow for enough O2). Is tin foil fine or would grabbing the 50 cent foam stopper be better, or is there some even better option?

I always use tin foil for my starters. I also use a loose rubber band just tight enough to keep it from getting knocked off.

Good advice and opinions given so far. Like me try to recommend something a bit different and something that had someone told me wold have saved me tons of $$$. Get hooked up with a local homebrew club. Go see what those guys are doing. Taste thier beer Ask them what they've done. I can tell you what I did but unless you see it and taste the beer it just doesn't convey the same message. The added bonus is that you will meet some great new friends

Hello everybody,

I've been brewing for a couple months and I've read a couple books and poked around here a bunch. I'm really enjoying it so far and am interested in moving to some of the more complicated processes. The 3 things I've been looking at are yeast starters (so I could start using liquid yeast, proper pitch rates), getting a temperature controller (happen to have a spare chest freezer that isn't used), and then finally all grain ( bigger pot, outdoor burner). Now I know the cost of those 3 is very different but I was wondering if anybody had recommendations about the order they would approach these considering cost, beer quality, and added enjoyment. Thanks in advance.

If you already have the basics for temp control get a temp controller and take advantage of that.
After you get your processes down then begin investing in what you need (not want) for doing AG.
After you get your AG processes consistent them look at starters etc. until them you can use software to tell you how much yeast, dry or liquid, you need for pitching.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

To throw out another vote for temp control, that is my recommendation. It's like begging in a way- I no longer have to swap ice packs every morning and night, watching temps like a hawk. That hassle elimination alone is worth the build. Since you have the freezer already it's a bit of a no brainer from my point of view. Second is starters. If you didn't have the freezer I'd say starters first. All grain is great but doesn't guarantee better beer. Yeast love does. Kyle

Back