Orange zest Wheat beer yeast options/banana clove/etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan300man

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew in the next 10 days. I'm unsure about whether it will be a wheat beer, or an American Ale with wheat. That depends on supplies available at the LHBS. I'm taking some brewing equipment to a relatives house, might get some supplies locally and some in his state.

I have read through many recipes and have a good idea for the various options for grain bills, that isn't a problem.

We're actually considering a tangerine zest or perhaps blood orange as a small flavor enhancer.

For hops, I have Amarillo and Citra, which should complement a citrus flavor profile. I've seen charts that explain the uses and flavor profiles of the various types of hops.

As for yeast, we don't want a banana/clove type of flavor. I've seen a wide variety of yeasts used in the various recipes, but not a good explanation regarding the type of flavors they impart on a brew. Is there a yeast summary table that explains the expected outcome from each strain of yeast?

Awesome, THANKS! that is what I was looking for.

I have used US-05, so that is a firm candidate.
WLP051 and US West Coast Yeast look good.
American wheat 1010 a possibility.
WLP400 and Belgian wheat 3942 are maybes, maybe not.
Northeast Ale ECY29 looks good.

Most of the Wheat Beer yeasts look like a no-go. I'll stick to the Pale Ale list.

Back