Orange Lager need feedback!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentdr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently fermenting an Australian Lager and I am thinking about changing it up a bit by adding Orange zest to my second fermentation any thought???

Have you made it before? Making lager is a lot of work to just add orange to it. If you put a slice of orange on the edge of the glass while serving it will have a similar affect.

I've used orange zest in both the secondary and the bottling syrup. The secondary, to me anyway, seems to give a subtle and light flavor. In the bottling syrup it was really fragrant and had a strong flavor.

If your gonna use it in the bottling syrup throw in the zest of one orange into the syrup and boil for 2-5 minutes and it should pull enough oil of the zest to give you aroma and flavor. bottle as normal and enjoy. :mug:

If your gonna use it in the bottling syrup throw in the zest of one orange into the syrup and boil for 2-5 minutes and it should pull enough oil of the zest to give you aroma and flavor. bottle as normal and enjoy. :mug:

WOW i am SO going to try this with my citrus-hopped wheat!

I added some orange zest to a blonde last year that I used some cascade in. turned out really nice and subtle, a little sweet. I zested 2 oranges soaked in vodka for awhile, drained vodka and added to primary.

I've added orange zest to the boil before. Never to the secondary. I'm going to attempt a strawberry blonde using fresh strawberries in the secondary though...

Back