OR/WA Brew Day v2.0??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK kids...I just added 5.5 more gallons to this beast...and yes, it can still take more. How much, I really have no idea. 5 - 10 more gallons at the most maybe? Anyone interested in brewing up another batch? Need to leave a little room for the remaining cherries that will be dropped in late September/early October.

But DAMN...this thing is STANKY! HA...And the pelicule is totally formed. I'm getting thirsty.

Alright guys, I got this. I'll brew up 5 more gallons to add to the barrel. I totally want to sniff the bunghole to see what this pellicle is like.

I'll be in Portland the end of July for OBF. I'd love to swing by and check out what you guys have been up to the last several months! :mug:

Alright, I have 5-ish gallons fermenting in my basement, it should hopefully be done this week. I racked onto my Septemberfest yeast cake, so this should be interesting.

'Topia - You sir are always welcome to stop on by. I know we'll be around that weekend.
Evil - let me know when you'd like to bring over the next batch. I should be around most of the weekend.

Out of curiosity, with about 4 months till we pull out of the barrel what are folks planning to do with their portion of the batch packaging wise? Who's Bottling? Who's Kegging? If bottling, what kind of bottles?

I was thinking of kegging half and bottling the other half. But I'm starting to question a bit if I want to have a sour going through my lines and faucets. But 20 - 25 gallons is a damn lot of bottling! I'll probably store in kegs in the basement until I figure it all out.

PS: Evil...whenever you're ready to bring the next 5 gallons over let me know.

Out of curiosity, with about 4 months till we pull out of the barrel what are folks planning to do with their portion of the batch packaging wise? Who's Bottling? Who's Kegging? If bottling, what kind of bottles?

I was thinking of kegging half and bottling the other half. But I'm starting to question a bit if I want to have a sour going through my lines and faucets. But 20 - 25 gallons is a damn lot of bottling! I'll probably store in kegs in the basement until I figure it all out.

PS: Evil...whenever you're ready to bring the next 5 gallons over let me know.

Yeah I'll probably bottle half and keg half. I'm going to try to have a dedicated sour line on my system and I'm not too concerned about cross contamination between different sour strains.

When are we getting together to empty the barrel anyway?

Cool. I'm excited to see how it turns out. I went to the NHC this past weekend and one of my favorite beers from the event used the Roeselare yeast. I'll be very stoked if we get anywhere close.

Hey Guys,

I'm helping organize this new homebrew festival that's a little over a month away. I'd love to see some of you out there.

Here's the post I put up for it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/calling-all-northwest-brewers-homebrew-festival-august-29th-1000-competition-128957/

And here's a link directly to the festival website: Lakewood Rotary Homebrew Festival

Brian if you can make it maybe you'll have to pull a sample from the barrel and bring it up so we can get a little taste of what's to come.

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful summer.

Since we've had a little activity in the thread the last few days I just had to pull a quick sample. Yes, I HAD to! We're sitting at about 1.008 right now. Everything appears to be blending together. Nothing totally over powering. A little hint of Oak as it finishes off. Totally sour and tart. I'm hoping the addition of the remaining cherries about a month before we pull this guy out will add back some of the fruitiness to it.

3 more months gents!!!!

OH SHI I completely forgot about that last batch I made in the basement. Wow, that's been like two months now!

I should be.

I stopped down this past Saturday and Brian let me have a sample. Actually pretty good even though the stuff on top looked nasty and smelled like dead balls.

Not very sour, but oaky with hints of cherry. I think this will be good especially after it's carbonated.

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping to find a way to make that date work. I've got to be in Seattle that afternoon/evening though so if I come down it might just have to be for the early portion of the day.

-Brandon

Alright I've given up on getting back to Seattle Saturday night so I'm in for the 24th. Just let me know what to bring and when to be there. I'm looking forward to it.

So what's the plan for the 24th? I'm going to be hanging out with a handful of friends down there and wanted to figure out if we're just going to pull the beer out or hang out for a few hours and crack open some special beers and have some food and whatnot. I'm down for whatever but wanted to get a better idea what's going on so I could coordinate my other plans.

Let's call it 10am start time for pulling the beer out of the barrel...Does that work for folks? What's up after, I have no idea...Not sure if I'll have a car that morning or not. I'll know better as we get closer to next Saturday, unless we make plans to do something now.

PS:
If anyone has a portable 5# CO2 tank or similar they want to bring to aid in purging Kegs that would be great. My 10# isn't very mobile and it may just be easier to have the 5# in the basement with us instead of running up and down the stairs.

10 AM works fine for me. I have a 5# but I need to buy gas for it. I was going to purge some kegs before I left.

I should be able to make it down there by 10am. I've got a small nitro tank I can bring to purge.

My friends and I were thinking about heading east to Walking Man, Double Mountain, and a few other places Saturday afternoon if you guys were interested in caravan-ing on a little gorge brewery tour.

McKBrew, I'm heading down with friends on Saturday morning and staying that night either at a friend's place or a few of us might split a hotel room. You're more than welcome to join us if you don't want to drive down on your own.

I honestly don't think I'm going to make it down there. Too much going on right now. Depending on how much my portion is, I could explosive fill up part of a keg and I can swap him with an empty. Or you can just say that my portion is the part that evaporated. I probably will not want much more than a few bottles of this anyhow.

I honestly don't think I'm going to make it down there. Too much going on right now. Depending on how much my portion is, I could explosive fill up part of a keg and I can swap him with an empty. Or you can just say that my portion is the part that evaporated. I probably will not want much more than a few bottles of this anyhow.

That sucks you won't be able to make it McKBrew. I have to clean some kegs this week. I think I'll have three to bring down but I'll have to check tonight to see.

Brian, could you PM me your address again. I promise not to post it this time. ;)

Hey Evil...curious since you never delivered that last batch of the base brew if you were going to try and blend the two at all?

I'm not exactly sure what the plan is but I'm planning on being at KB's house around 10am with a few empty kegs and possibly a couple friends. I probably need to get going by noon or so but I'll be bringing a couple bottles to celebrate the occasion.

McKBrew I've got an empty 3-gallon keg I'll be bringing for your portion if that works for you.

I will be there at 10 AM today as well with two kegs in tow. I've thought about blending that other batch I made with this one, it could be interesting.

Thanks all that participated! This was fun. We now have an empty barrel ready to go, who's in for a new batch?!??!

Bottled 5 of my 20 gallons and did a little bottle wax on a few:
bottles_wax.jpg

I'm up for it. You wanna make a kriek again, or make something else? Something that would definitely benefit from oak and roselare for sure.

I'm up for it. You wanna make a kriek again, or make something else? Something that would definitely benefit from oak and roselare for sure.

Hey Guys,

Obviously we weren't quite thinking about filling it right after draining but I'd be up for contributing to the next batch if we want to keep it in use rather than give it to someone else. I'll be coming down the weekend of November 13th and can brew 10 or 15 gallons before then. I recently read a thread on using Roselare and it referenced Jamil's suggestion of finishing the base beer around 1.020 so the Roselare has more sugars to work with.

Anyway, let me know if I need to get brewing. And if we do this again, do you guys want to do something similar (which turned out great), or mix it up and see what happens? I guess adding raspberries on top of the cherry muck or doing a darker version of the recipe to get a chocolate/cherry/sour combo are the first two ideas that come to my mind.

Regardless, KB thanks for putting this together. I'm really excited about this beer and can't wait to taste it tonight when it has a little carbonation in it.

Latest posts

Back