OR Homebrew law ALERT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No updates. The legislative website does not have anything related to the comittee hearing either:

http://www.leg.state.or.us/11reg/pubs/senmh.html

SB 444 By Senator PROZANSKI; Senators BATES, BEYER, BONAMICI, BOQUIST, BURDICK, COURTNEY, DEVLIN, DINGFELDER, EDWARDS, HASS, JOHNSON, MONNES ANDERSON, NELSON, OLSEN, ROSENBAUM, SHIELDS, STARR, TELFER, THOMSEN, VERGER, WHITSETT, WINTERS, Representatives BARNHART, BERGER, BEYER, GELSER, HOLVEY, HOYLE, HUNT, NATHANSON, ROBLAN (at the request of Oregon Home Brewers Alliance, former Senator Rick Metsger, former Senator Bill Morrisette) -- Relating to alcoholic beverages; declaring an emergency.

1-10(S) Introduction and first reading. Referred to President's desk.

1-18 Referred to Business, Transportation and Economic Development.

2-10 Work Session held.

Update - The brewer's association is calling for constituents to contact their local House and Senate members urging them to pass this bill:

At this time, we ask that you contact both the Senator and Representative for your district and urge them to vote in favor of SB 444. Contacting your legislators is quick and easy (if you call, you will most likely speak with one of their staff members), and each contact from a constituent has an impact.

http://maildogmanager.com/page.html...0tRDKDVm&[email protected]

Link to Oregon Legislature lookup tool:

http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/

SB444 passed the OR Senate unanimously today with no debate! On to the House!

Denny, I was reading the voting for this bill at http://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2011/SB444/# and saw where "Prozanski declared potential conflict of interest".

I am not very good at political stuff so does mean a potential problem for the bill? Or do you know?

If not, I am getting ready for the years comps! woo hoo:rockin:

Thanks

Kevin

The statement that "Prozanski declared potential conflict of interest" is a little troubling to me, but it seems the exemption has been declared unanimously passed.

WOOT!

Denny, I was reading the voting for this bill at http://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2011/SB444/# and saw where "Prozanski declared potential conflict of interest".

I am not very good at political stuff so does mean a potential problem for the bill? Or do you know?

If not, I am getting ready for the years comps! woo hoo:rockin:

Thanks

Kevin

Nope, no problems. He's a homebrewer and was just being upfront about it.

SB 444 passed the OR House today. All that's left is for the governor to sign it and OR will have the best homebrew law in the US!

Awesome! That's how we role around here.

Already told Kitz I would bring him a beer as soon as he signs the thing.

what country do you people live in? you seriously can't fathom why government would want to limit the individual? what do you think has been happening to you over your entire lifetime? go talk to someone over 50 and see what they used to be able to do without getting hassled. then talk to someone over 80.
These laws are revenue generation and control, pure and simple. In Austin there are 2 bills up for debate - one to allow microbrewers to sell on the brewery premises and another to allow brewpubs to sell their beer off premises (in stores).

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2011-02-25/legeland-brew-the-looking-glass/

The bill's most vocal champion is Scott Metzger of San Antonio's Freetail Brewing Co., who blogs about it daily at www.brewednotbattered.wordpress.com. Unfortunately, he thinks the bill has a "snowball's chance," he says. "I've had discussions with individual wholesalers who are supporters of this bill, but I spoke with a representative of Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas, and they flat-out told us they are not interested in the passage of this bill or even discussing any modifications that they would agree with. ...

"It is definitely worrisome," he says, "both for the sake of our bill and for the sake of, as a citizen, to think that one organization has the power to squash things that are good for the state." A phone call to WBDT Director Mike McKinney was not returned.

So simply at the established industry's whim the bill is killed. everything in the US is special interest and corporation run.
Concerning the other bill mentioned in the article, brewers that are out of state are allowed to seel their products in stores in-State, while in-State brewers cannot - they would have to move out of state to be able to sell them here. There is not some archaic reason for these laws, it is control.

here is the article, but we are golden for summer!

The Oregon House of Representatives passed (by 60- 0) SB444, which fixes Oregon laws which were narrowly interpreted last year to ban homebrew competitions across the state: Here's the press release verbatim from the house...

OREGON HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Office of the Co-Speakers

SALEM— Home brew competitions at the Oregon State Fair and local county fairs across the state will be back this summer following passage of SB 444, according to Oregon House Co-Speakers Arnie Roblan and Bruce Hanna.

The bill changes a prohibition-era law that was recently reinterpreted by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission that caused the Oregon State Fair to cancel home beer and wine events, including the 23rd annual Amateur Beer Competition, last year.

The Department of Justice opinion said that while Oregonians could brew beer and craft wine at home, they couldn’t share it beyond that. SB 444 also clarifies that those who brew craft beer or wine at home can share it with friends and neighbors.

"This bill is a great example of legislators coming together to fix an unintended consequence of state liquor law. Local events should be able to feature local home brewers and this bill puts us back on the right track." Co-Speaker Hanna said.

State Rep. Mike Schaufler (D-Happy Valley), Co-Chair of the House Committee on Business and Labor, thanked Senator Floyd Prozanski for his work on the issue.

“This bill stops in its tracks a misguided legal opinion that shut down competitions at fairs all over Oregon,” Rep. Schaufler said. “This legislation ensures that home brewers can share their products and that the growing craft beer industry gets a boost. The return of these competitions at local county fairs is welcome news for home brewers and their fans.”

Roblan said the bill made clear that a prohibition-era law used to shut down the competitions last year was not necessary in today’s regulatory environment:

“Oregonians can welcome the return of local home brew contests at the Oregon State Fair and in their local communities,” Co-Speaker Roblan said. “Craft brewers can now share their products with friends and be assured that they will not run afoul of Oregon law. This prohibition-era law should not have stopped these local competitions and we have fixed it.”

Rep. Bill Kennemer (R-Oregon City), Co-Chair of the House Committee on Business and Labor, added, "This is a great bill that restores the ability of home brewers to engage in a hobby and competitions that have become such a big part of Oregon's home brew success. I am grateful for the home brewers and legislators who worked together to craft a solution, and am glad to see it pass the House will such a strong showing of support.”

Congratulations and thank you for anyone that has helped and worked on getting this passed!

Cant wait, finally I can enter some comps.

As a Oregon homebrewer, I'm looking forward to competitions starting up again. I think I'll be entering my first one as soon as they are back on the docket.

How about we just talk about Oregon passing this law that rectified an outdated law instead of turning this thread into a battle of political ideologies that ends with mods locking the thread...

As a Oregon homebrewer, I'm looking forward to competitions starting up again. I think I'll be entering my first one as soon as they are back on the docket.

I brewed a Porter 2 weeks ago with the Spring Fling in mind. It's now been pushed back to June 4th though.

http://www.cohomebrewers.org/

The signing ceremony will take place on Mon. 3/28. The governor's office even sent recommendations for the type of beer he'd like afterwards! Pics will be posted, probably on the AHA website and forum.

To those of you who wanted to pollute this thread by making it political, please butt out and start your own discussion.

The gov likes "lighter styles". Save your beers and enter 'em in the Sasquatch Brewfest Homebrew Comp., now that we can legally hold it!

When is that? COHO is having their Spring Fling June 4th. There is a drop off at Valley Vinter.

According to the Oregon Legislature Bill Tracker website it looks like the Governor signed this into law as of yesterday!!

I have not read this anywhere else yet but it looks like we can finally take our beers out into the world to share, enjoy, and compete with legally:ban:

If I were not at work I would be toasting right now!

According to the Oregon Legislature Bill Tracker website it looks like the Governor signed this into law as of yesterday!!

I have not read this anywhere else yet but it looks like we can finally take our beers out into the world to share, enjoy, and compete with legally:ban:

If I were not at work I would be toasting right now!

I'd toast to that!

By the way, You live in Gladstone. So do I! Nice to see some local homebrewers around me!

I'd toast to that!

By the way, You live in Gladstone. So do I! Nice to see some local homebrewers around me!

Sweet, I thought I was the lone Gladstonian. I kind of like that "The Lone Gladstonian"! lol

I'm off Oatfield and Fairfield, let me know if you want to brew or sample sometime!

i know right where that is at lol, my GF lives down in clackamas and had an ex that lived off of oatfield. lets all get together one day!

You, me, Brak23 and your gf and ex? LOL

Yes, a get together is a good idea!

My pipeline is low but I will have a stout and a Belgian "pale" in the bottle in a couple weeks!

I have a brown now but I am saving that for comps, and maybe one or two for me :cross:

Either of you belong to a brewclub? I am trying to decide on one to join?

Latest posts

Back