Options for Topping Up - Reducing Head Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I will be doing my first racking this weekend on my first ever test run of apple wine. I will obviously lose volume in the process (I also plan on taste testing & hydrometer reading) so I will need to top up with something to reduce head space/oxygen in the carboy.

What do you guys prefer to do?

Since I will have a spare bottle of tree top apple juice sitting around, should I use that for topping of? Or will filtered water alone do the trick?

I have heard some people even throw in cheap vodka!

Cheers :)

Apple juice sounds like a good idea. Keep in mind though that that's more sugar you're adding in so it will keep fermenting after you've topped up with it.

There is no god reason why you cannot return the sample you took to measure the gravity as long as you have sanitized your hydrometer, the thief or baster and the hydrometer's cylinder. That said an alternative to adding anything to "top up" is to reduce the size of your fermenter or add glass marbles (also sanitized).

Thanks, yah I have juice from the same manufacturer from the one I used. I dont see why that wouldn't work as a 1st choice.

Unless someone drinks it on me first haha!

Apple juice sounds like a good idea. Keep in mind though that that's more sugar you're adding in so it will keep fermenting after you've topped up with it.

Oh yes for sure bernard I always put back the wine after a reading (using sanitized equipment) :)

But the racking will leave me a little low. I'm think of just saving some tree top juice that I was going to use for another batch & use that.

I realize now water might dilute this too much.

There is no god reason why you cannot return the sample you took to measure the gravity as long as you have sanitized your hydrometer, the thief or baster and the hydrometer's cylinder. That said an alternative to adding anything to "top up" is to reduce the size of your fermenter or add glass marbles (also sanitized).

If your base wine is the same juice you are topping off with, that's the best option.

I topped my hand picked, washed, sliced apple wine off with organic apple juice and it turned out amazing! It will go into another fermentation after topping, though.

Thanks stru,

I did pick up potassium sorbate for stabilizing though. So I guess add the apple juice then add k-sorbate?

If your base wine is the same juice you are topping off with, that's the best option.

I topped my hand picked, washed, sliced apple wine off with organic apple juice and it turned out amazing! It will go into another fermentation after topping, though.

if its cleared you can add k meta and k sorbate with the apple juice. I think you will like the sweetening effect of the apple juice.

Depending on how short you are, the wine could end up sweeter than you want it if you stop fermentation and add the juice. I just added the juice and let mine go... I wanted a dry wine anyway.

Latest posts

Back