options for 110v HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdf

Reaction score
I brew 10 gallon batches in the garage off of propane. I'd like to switch my keggle HLT to electric so I can set it on a timer overnight and have hot strike water when I'm ready to go I'm the morning. I only have 110v outlets in the garage.

What would be some options for this? I have no electrical experience, short of soldering speaker wires. Thoughts?

This should work, you just need to find out how long a 120V heater takes to warm your water to the temperature you want. You probably want something smarter than just a plug in heater, you probably want something with a PID controller to reach & hold your strike water temperature.

20 Amps @ 110V = maximum 2200W which will be pretty slow to heat 10 gallons so you will probably need access to more than one circuit.

I'm planning on doing the same thing. My plan was to build a control panel that would control 2 1500W elements to get my eHLT up to mash temp and then Sparge temps. I have access to two 20amp outlets in my garage currently.

Plenty of wiring diagrams on this site. The only thing holding me up is selling some old gear to pay for the new set up.

I have a 1000w heat stick (bucket heater) that I use in my 5 gallon cooler hlt to heat the sparge water unattended. It can get that to 190f in a couple of hours (while I heat strike water and mash), and has a high temp cut off on it. One of these should be adequate for what you want - top up with a little cold water to get down to strike temps. Assuming that your hlt can be insulated, then 1000w should be adequate to reach temperature eventually and then hold it.

I'm building a pid box to control that better - just a standalone pid controller and ssr with a 110v socket output, so I can choose what to use as the heat source.

Back