Opinions wanted on brewing system choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got an Anvil Foundry - 10.5 Gal - 240V. Just put the purchase order, It's going to be shipped from the US, and it is still 200 bucks cheaper than getting a Brewzilla 3.1 here.

I'll be selling my old setup, just gonna keep a kettle for heating the sparge water.

Hopefully I won't regret it LOL

Good call on the bag. Adding a bag is the only upgrade I've made to my system and it is definitely worth it. Enjoy your new toy!
Is the bag used to line the mash pipe? If so, does that interfere with flow at all or with stirring the mash?

Dumping and cleaning the pipe is kind of a PitA. If a bag helps with that it would be worth it. I just don't want to slow down the flow of wort thru the bottom of the pipe during Vorlauf or sparge. It can be kinda slow with with a thick mash sometimes as-is. With a pump you would need to regulate the flow some I would imagine to keep it from outrunning the volume in the bottom of the kettle.

Last edited:
The bag will definitely affect flow rate, simply put it is an obstruction. That said, it isn't much of one.

If you feel on the edge of stuck sparges I'd add a little rice hull to your next grain bill. After I started doing that (half pound for normal brews, full pound for Imperials), I've never had another problem again.

Con - make sure you don't tear the bag on any temp sensors or other odds and ends.

Pro - a little extra efficiency if you are willing and able to lift and spin the bag (to help squeeze the grain a little)

You do still have to clean the bag, I don't know that it's any better than a malt pipe. But it certainly will keep your pump clear and for me that's worth it.

Is the bag used to line the mash pipe? If so, does that interfere with flow at all or with stirring the mash?
Yeah, I line the mash pipe with the bag. In my experience it actually improves flow through because it prevents the grains from clogging the holes in the bottom of the mash pipe. The last batch I made a few weeks ago, was over 25% rye and wheat malt combined and it drained like a champ. Stirring is different with the bag, but not problematic IMO.

Be patient and go with the learning curve of a new system. It took me a few batches to dial in my process, but now that things are dialed in I'm loving it, and wouldn't change a thing.

Yeah, I line the mash pipe with the bag. In my experience it actually improves flow through because it prevents the grains from clogging the holes in the bottom of the mash pipe. The last batch I made a few weeks ago, was over 25% rye and wheat malt combined and it drained like a champ. Stirring is different with the bag, but not problematic IMO.

Be patient and go with the learning curve of a new system. It took me a few batches to dial in my process, but now that things are dialed in I'm loving it, and wouldn't change a thing.
That makes sense. No bits in the holes should actually improve flow. And cleaning the pipe is the worst part of the whole cleanup. Might give it a try soon. Thanks.

Before I got into and even after all grain BIAB I used a 240v Advantco induction burner with both a 5.5 and 7.5 gal kettle. I brewed in my garsge.

Great for extract kits, LME, and eventually used it for my entry into all grain BIAB.
What kettles do you use with that? I've never used an induction stove before, but I know you need pans with an iron or other ferrous core or they won't heat.

Most decent stainless steel kettles work with induction; they just need a magnetic bottom. I also have the same 3500W Avantco. It's got dozens of batches on it, and I still use it occasionally for BIAB even though my main rig is a Speidels Braumeister.

Back