Opinions on Magic Hat #9 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiblerjd

Reaction score
I'm brewing a magic hat #9 clone tomorrow. I have brewed them several times in the past and have never been super happy with the results. Unlike every other time, I now use brewing software, which helps immensely on hitting the target values for the real beer.

From the Magic Hat Website this beer uses Pale/Crystal Malt, Apollo and Cascade Hops, 5.1ABV, 20IBU, and 8SRM.

Anyway I have seen many recipes on here, and the one I like the best is the can you brew it version https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-magic-hat-number-9-a-175571/. The problem is that none of these recipes come out to fit the real numbers when I put them in the software.

So I slightly modified the recipe and I want to get opinions or comments. My LHBS didn't have Columbus so I went with Warrior because I have seen many clone recipes use this hop as well. Also I only got .25 lbs of 80L because I thought that was all I needed to get 8SRM, turns out I needed more and I don't want to drive all the way back, so I used the 60L I had laying around. Next time I will only use 80L.

9lbs 2-Row
.25lbs 80L
.25lbs 60L

0.25oz Warrior for 60min
0.5oz Cascade for 30min

4oz Apricot Extract in the Keg

With this recipe I get 5.1ABV, 25IBU, and 6.9SRM.

I'm also using California Ale yeast because I have a ton of it that I just pulled from my last batch of beer and its FREE.

Please let me know what you think. It looks good to me but I want to see if I'm missing anything.

Going to follow this one. #9 is one of my favorites. Will have to bring this up further in the rotation.

Brewed it today and my numbers turned out spot on. I think this will be a good one. I may try to get my hands on some apollo next time and i'll probably just use 80L too. I don't know where i saw it but i heard magic hat uses 80L. My thought is i would have to use less crystal malt to get the same SRM so the flavor impact would be less.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Kegged today and i think this may be a winner. Hard to tell because i know from the past it takes a few weeks for the apricot to settle down and taste right. So i'll give it a taste in a few weeks and let everyone know how it turns out of interested. I'll tell you the color and bitterness seem spot on.

Just to follow up this tasted like rat piss. I think i got a bad batch of apricot extract because even after a few months the beer tastes "fake". The base beer was probably great but the apricot ruined it. Ohh well.

Why did you use 2-row instead of Maris Otter?

Also, did you use apricot extract or apricot flavoring? The "flavoring" tastes fake, the extract is generally good. I ended up using 2.5 oz or so in a 5 gallon batch last time and it was about perfect.

You can also split the batch and use blueberry or some other flavor for fun.

Does anyone know how this would look as a partial mash recipe? Im tryna ball on a budget here.

Somebody else will have to do the conversion, but there is now a Maris Otter liquid malt you can use. There's really not much else in this besides a small bit of Carmel.

Why did you use 2-row instead of Maris Otter?

Also, did you use apricot extract or apricot flavoring? The "flavoring" tastes fake, the extract is generally good. I ended up using 2.5 oz or so in a 5 gallon batch last time and it was about perfect.

You can also split the batch and use blueberry or some other flavor for fun.

Crap i bet you are right. I meant to buy extract but i bet i mistakenly bought flavoring. You are totally right. Sounds like i'm dumping the keg and trying again. I have Apollo hops to use next time as well. Thanks for mentioning that because i totally never would have thought of it.

To answer your other question I used 2 row because i had 55lbs of it. Do you think it would make a huge difference?

I can look into converting this recipe to extract but it will take me some time as i don't do this very often.

Back