Opened my first beer - I didn't ruin it. pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skuhn2004

Reaction score
Happy days happy days. It's a long ways from what I will be doing in a year but it's my first. But I can live with it and I'm pretty sure a little more time bottle aging is going to fix a lot.

Recipe:
6lbs DME
1LB Honey
Crystal malt and English Chocolate Malt
1 1/4 bittering hops
2 sticks cinnamon
1/4tsp Cloves
1/2tsp nutmeg
2 vanilla beans
1oz Cascade hops

Safale #US-05

Yes I know I probably should have went with something safer my first time out.

Pitched at 75F

Primary in a 6 gal bucket 8 days. 1 bubble/min for 24 hours was my trigger to got to 2ndary. Not doing this again.

Secondary in a 5 gal better bottle 7 days. Going to go long with the primary before I try using a 2ndary for the short term. A lot of reading here is why.

Bottled 9 days. 3/4 corn sugar. I need to do better here. I sanitized the bottling bucket and made a pile of the CS. I then sanitized the auto-siphon and directed the flow on top of my pile of CS. Pretty sure it got mixed "well", but I think adding it to water and pasteurizing will do better.

I'm not sure how long I should have let it set in the bottling bucket. I gave it 90 minutes.

Put a couple bottles in the fridge yesterday. I learned all about the very common chill haze. You guys are awesome. Thank you!

So, How is it you ask?????

Well it smells amazing. It had me drooling when I bottled it. I know its not ready but I had to try it after smelling it last week. The aroma only got better.

I could try and get fancy explaining the flavor and how it blended but that wont work. The ingredient list says it all. Right now its blending those flavors into something yummy and it doesn't taste like bubblegum, sour apples,dishrags or any other nasty thing you guys have told me about.

Isn't that all anyone really needs?

The biggest problem is lack of carbonation. I'm fairly confident that will fix itself if I leave them in the closet for a couple weeks, then give them a week in the fridge.

and the pics.

oops
SG = 1.062
FG = 1.007
ABV = 7.12

I think that's right. The kit said it was supposed to come out ABV %4.8

You guys are right. The directions suck on BIAB.

Congrats! It only gets better, more fun, and more addicting from here!
Enjoy your first.

oops
SG = 1.062
FG = 1.007
ABV = 7.12

I think that's right. The kit said it was supposed to come out ABV %4.8

You guys are right. The directions suck on BIAB.

Because you used a kit with dry malt extract, if you used the right amount of water, you got the OG the kit specified. Anything different will be attributed to not getting the wort and top off water to mix properly which is really hard to do since the water is so much less dense than the wort.

Don't dis the BIAB instructions, you didn't do BIAB.:D

Nice job. And the best part (besides making a drinkable beer!) is your recognition of what you'll tweak for your next batch. You are getting another batch in the pipeline, right? :mug: Kyle

Congrats on your first brew. If you haven't started your second yet, then you're behind. You'll be surprised how quick they go once they're carbed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

I have 5 beers in bottles right now, and only one is really close enough to drink. I take that back, my wife's BIPA is ready to drink, and I am not an IPA guy really, but I got lucky, I put together a recipe with an IBU of 91, and you could never guess the IBU was that high, as the hops are very balanced, with nothing really standing out. I will have to admit my general dislike for very hoppy beers is starting to change. A while back I tried a 65 IBU bomber of something, and I didn't dislike it. In the past, I might not have even tried it, but the wife likes hoppy beers, and I just can't let her finish a bomber all by herself. :)

Latest posts

Back