Opaque Jai Alai Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMyers

Reaction score
This was the first All grain recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cigar-city-jai-alai-clone-414817/) that I brewed several years ago. It took forever to clear, in fact im not sure that it did. I used Thames Valley Yeast. I suspected an infection due to the Spanish cedar that I added or because I didn't know what I was doing (as it was my first batch).

I have since brewed numerous batches and produced great beer (IMO). I typically cold crash and add gelatin.

Well, I recently rebrewed it with 1968 ESB and I am having the same issues.

I'll post a pick when I get home, but its been cold crashing for ~ a week and I added gelatin. I understand hoppy brews should be hazy but this is opaque.

Any thoughts?

This was the first All grain recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cigar-city-jai-alai-clone-414817/) that I brewed several years ago. It took forever to clear, in fact im not sure that it did. I used Thames Valley Yeast. I suspected an infection due to the Spanish cedar that I added or because I didn't know what I was doing (as it was my first batch).

I have since brewed numerous batches and produced great beer (IMO). I typically cold crash and add gelatin.

Well, I recently rebrewed it with 1968 ESB and I am having the same issues.

I'll post a pick when I get home, but its been cold crashing for ~ a week and I added gelatin. I understand hoppy brews should be hazy but this is opaque.

Any thoughts?

That's interesting. That yeast shouldn't have any issues clearing. Sounds like there may be something amiss with your conversion? How's the gravity?

Gravity is near perfect, three weeks in primary. I brewed and cleared a Furious IPA clone in the same time less a week and its crystal clear. Heres a pic, this is technically a tertiary as i ran out of keg space.

unnamed.jpg

Back