So, I may have *unintentionally* brewed my first hazy IPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I try to get all of my beers as clear as possible, using Whirlfloc, Clarity Ferm and cold-crash with gelatin finings. This makes most of my beers, including this IPA, crystal clear from the first pour.

I just kegged the fourth batch of my go to double IPA (it's an extract recipe using Wyeast 1056). When I brewed it, I realized right after adding the whirlpool hops that I'd forgotten to add the Whirlfloc tablet - too late to do anything about it.

I always pull a sample from the fermenter, right after I drain the kettle and before I add the yeast, for a SG reading. I drain my kettle pretty close to empty, so I often get some solids in this initial sample, but they settle out pretty fast in the cylinder I use for my hydrometer, leaving pretty clear wort. This time my sample was very cloudy and never settled out.

I proceeded as normal, finishing by cold-crashing to 33 degrees, adding gelatin finings, and letting it sit for four days. I pulled a sample right before I kegged it, and while it is clearer, it is still hazy. The sample I pull for a FG reading is usually very clear at this point.

Would leaving out a Whirlfloc tablet cause this much difference, or do I have something else going on here? I'm guessing it will clear up pretty well in the keg, but I'm amazed how different it looks right now.

I have a bottle of Biofine Clear on hand - which I've never used - so I added an eyedropper of that to the keg before filling it. I'm interested to see if that makes a difference. I carb my kegs for several days in my fermentation chamber, before I move them to my keezer, so I have full control on the keg temperature right now. Should I keep it at 33 degrees for another day or two - or just set it at 38 degrees, which is where I keep my keezer?

Thanks for your help!

IPA.jpg

Back