oops, rubber stopper in primary, any help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruinbeer

Reaction score
alright, while finishing up my 3rd batch of homebrew (american amber) i dropped a rubber stopper (sanitized, at least) into the beer. can anyone think of a way to try to cover up the rubbery taste i'm sure that this beer will have when finished? a few rookie brewers i know have suggested oak chips/cubes soaked in whiskey added to the secondary. any suggestions? right now it’s in a secondary and i'm hoping to bottle in about a week and a half or so.

p.s. as for the primary, stopper is removed, and my first pseudo experiment recipe: chocolate (with a bit of chipotle) stout.
p.p.s 1st home brew batch hefe should be just about done carbonating, cannot wait to try it

Don't worry about the stopper. It won't hurt a thing.

(You'd be surprised how often this happens around here!)

I had that happen on my first brew but it didn't give it impart any rubber flavor into the beer. I wouldn't even worry about it

No worries. I've had that happen a couple times. No off-flavors, but removing it after you've racked is the fun part.

Won't impart any flavor, it will be fine.

To remove it, try the trick shown in this video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1ovAYtKuQ]YouTube - Removing a cork from the bottle trick[/ame]

Back