Only have 2 oz DME. What else can I add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SATXbrew

Reaction score
I wanted to make a yeast starter for the first time tonight. I have some harvested yeast and I only bought 1 package of DME thinking it was enough. Its 2 oz and I have read I should use 4 oz.

Can I just make the starter with that much? I know this will result in a lower gravity starter. What are the bad affects of that?

I have some corn sugar for priming. Can I add something like that to it? If so, how much?

Thanks for the help!! :mug:

Potentially nothing would happen if you used dextrose...BUT I know that if you used dextrose solely the yeast would lose the ability to ferment out maltose....So,
one of the goals of making the yeast starter, aside from the obvious numbers game, as I understand it, is to get the yeast used to the fermentation environment in terms of fermentables (Gravity and such). If you use corn sugar, your yeast will decrease their ability to ferment maltose (extract/grain sugars) and potentially may have a more difficult time fermenting out completely. There are several posts on using Malta goya as a starter medium... but I've never used it.

Good info. I was kinda hoping for an option without leaving the house. I think I am just going to make the starter with the 2 oz and see how it goes..

Latest posts

Back