one smack pack, 3 or 4 batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got this idea from a more experienced brewer I met a few weeks ago... I'd like to be able to make a large enough starter with one smack pack of wyeast 1272. I understand how to make starters, but what I don't know is the amounts of water, and DME I need to grow enough cells for 3 or 4 batches. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like to split this "large" starter up and and save the 3 or 4 jars in the fridge for later use in beers with OGs in the 1.060 range.

Thanks.

mr.malty.com has a pitch rate caculator that will estimate your starter size. YOu could always repitch slurry from your finished batches as well.

How much later use? You should check out the sticky on washing yeast if it's going to be a couple weeks. Then you would only need to make a starter big enough for the first batch and can harvest the yeast and reuse it for the additional batches.

The brews would be about a week apart, since I brew almost every weekend. Mr. malty states I need a 2.43L starter for one batch if the OG was 1.060, which means I need 243g of DME. This provides 219 bil cells, or about 11mil cell/ mL.

So if I make a 4.86L starter Is that enough for 2 batches of that gravity? Is there a way I can make something like a 3L starter, only use 2.43L of it, save the rest in the fridge and then use that for my next starter for my next batch? If so, how can I calculate how much yeast I have (for the 2nd starter) and how much of a starter I need?

Hmm. Those volumes seem high. Thats over a gallon of starter. Maybe its just me but that seems like overkill.

Back