One pound table sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrodaden

Reaction score
I am mid brew and just noticed that my LHBS recipe calls for one pound of table sugar during the boil. Not real sure what I think about that but I have no ther options at this point...

Assuming a 5 gallon batch, a pound of table sugar should be fine. It'll raise the ABV and dry out the beer. If the recipe is for a typically dry style, it makes perfect sense.

Table sugar is used in a lot of recipes.

Belgian beers use a lot of it. Some other recipes also use it the dry the beer out some.

What are you brewing?

There is nothing wrong with sugar in general.

The problem is too much sugar. 3.3lbs LME and 2lbs sugar is a problem (kit and kilo).
when almost half your fermentables are sugar, there are issues.

Is it a strong beer? 1# is moderate even for a moderate gravity beer.Depending what it is there are other types of sugars like the darker ones that give a bit of character,i would stick to the recipe though.What is it?

It is a sparkling aussie golden ale. I can't cut and paste the recipe but it is a Defalco's LHBS recipe.

Of all the batches ive used sugar,even canned sweetened pumpkin. Ive noticed some weirdness in flavor at first,but its nothing that doesnt pan out and turn to a good beer though.Like a lot of things flavors change and fade.Just dont jump to a conclusion if you drink one after a few weeks and think there is something wrong with it.

Here is the link to the recipe.

http://www.defalcos.com/component/content/article/135.html

One person suggested the sugar would make this beer dry. The recipe called it fruity, thirst quenching light ale with a modest bite.

All I know is that it was horribly sweet when I took a taste after taking my OG reading. I actually came in a little low at 1.048 but didn't bother adding more sugar.

I hope those yeasties put the hurt on all of that sugar. That fermenter was bubbling more than any other batch I have made thus far only 7 hours after putting it in the fermenter.

Some people are of the opinion that table sugar ferments a little "rough". Dunno if that's true but the belgian strong golden i brewed with 2 cups of sugar (in 5 gallons) was really really green at 5 weeks, and smooooth at 7 weeks.

Here is the link to the recipe.

http://www.defalcos.com/component/content/article/135.html

One person suggested the sugar would make this beer dry. The recipe called it fruity, thirst quenching light ale with a modest bite.

All I know is that it was horribly sweet when I took a taste after taking my OG reading. I actually came in a little low at 1.048 but didn't bother adding more sugar.

I hope those yeasties put the hurt on all of that sugar. That fermenter was bubbling more than any other batch I have made thus far only 7 hours after putting it in the fermenter.

Most beer will taste sweet in the OG sample. I wouldn't have used 1lb of sugar with those fermentables but that is more personal preference than anything else. 1lb sugar is probably ok.

I notice they said to avoid aluminum in their instructions. Aluminum is ok as long as it is seasoned. Do a search and read up on it. Many people use aluminum. You just need to boil water in it before using.

A Belgian Golden Strong recipe can have 12# pilsner malt and 3# cane sugar. The sugar ferments out completely, and allows for a very low FG. My OG was around 1.080 and my FG was around 1.006. There's nothing wrong with a pound of sugar to help you get that little extra ABV while keeping a lower FG.

Back