One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear Claws

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IWI66W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
71-afNmedLL._SL1024_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alligator, snake, farmer turtle, armadillo, something like that.
I'm from Western Canada, not sure why I wanna eat reptile

Alligator is actually a rather bland tasting meat, looks a lot like chicken when cooked, has a similar texture too. It really benefits from seasoning. Not sure about other snakes, but rattlesnake is tasty. Low fat, high protein, mild flavor, all white meat. I've had it roasted & fried, and even seen it twitch when it hit the hot oil in the skillet. I've had snapping turtle & thought it tasted a lot like pond water. It was wild caught, so it had been marinating in that pond water for years; maybe they'd taste different if they were farm raised.
Regards, GF.

Not sure about other snakes, but rattlesnake is tasty. Low fat, high protein, mild flavor, all white meat.

I mentioned it way back in the thread, but cobra is stellar. The other snakes I've had were all pretty good as well, though I've only had snake a couple other times and I don't know what varieties they were, but we got to look into the eyes of the live cobra before they started cooking and that was a spectacular meal. Not because we stared down a meal that could have killed us with a quick lunge (it was contained at the time), but because it was delicious.

I like gator a lot. There's a Cajun restaurant by me that serves it lightly fried with etouffee sauce. The best I can describe the flavor and texture is somewhere between chicken and clams...white meat, but just a little bit more chewy/stringy than chicken.

It always seemed to me it'd taste like frog legs? I love fresh frog legs rolled in seasoned flour & fried while they're still hoppin'!

Just now found this thread. I try to have interesting local food when I travel internationally.

I had guinea pig and alpaca a few years ago in Peru and I had dog and live octopus in South Korea this summer.

Dont think Ive ever seen gator not fried. And that, to me, means it's either bad or boring. Always just tastes like fried meat. Could deep fry a sock and it'd taste the same as anything else deep fried.

I love bbq pit boys! That gator stuffed with crawdad tails, andouille sausage cornbread stuffing & all looked great when I watched it new. Wish I could get one up here, & some swamp cabbage to make up as a side.

Lion fish. Apparently there's a real problem with them being an invasive species in the Atlantic; supposed to be pretty tasty though, on par with snapper I've heard. I'd love to go spearfishing for them & cook 'em up fresh; being careful to avoid & remove the venomous spines of course.
Regards, GF.

Sounds like a fantastic vacation!

Check out " deermeatfordinner" on youtube. He lives in south Florida & spear fishes for those. He says they're an invasive species too. Has some recipes for cooking, cleaning,etc. For us in these parts, it's the wild pigs. But, according to the map, I'd have to get down around Dayton, OH. I'd like to shoot one with my 50 cal TC Hawken rifle for the pit. At 90g of powder, it's a rolling thunder clap from Thor's hammer!

Lion fish. Apparently there's a real problem with them being an invasive species in the Atlantic; supposed to be pretty tasty though, on par with snapper I've heard. I'd love to go spearfishing for them & cook 'em up fresh; being careful to avoid & remove the venomous spines of course.
Regards, GF.

EDIT:
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/lionfish-sea-creatures-behind-an-alarming-invasion/

Maybe Im just hippy dippy, but the idea of eating an invasive species makes me happy.

Ive had frogs legs and enjoyed them, so I don't see why toads legs would be that different. Also, squirrel. NY is lousy with the little buggers, and while I do think they are cute, I love the fact that you could eat scores of them and their population wouldn't be in jeopardy.

just kidding. It's actually a weird bucket list item of mine to wrestle an alligator, kill it with my bare hands, eat it and make something cool out of its hide. I know that's a little flocced up, but not as bad as cannibalism and it would be pretty badass to pull it off. No tape on the snout either, I want this thing to have just as good a chance to kill me as I have of killing it.

Cured egg yolk.

Like graved eggs?
Just mix equal parts sugar and salt, and put into a dish to form an inch later.

Crack an egg take the yolk and place it on the salt/sugar mix and then cover it with more sugar and salt.

Then let it sit for 75 min. (pretty sure that's the timing)

Then gently wash off the salt/sugar.

Place graved egg yolk on buttered toast and enjoy!

I want fried bald eagle.

'Cos America.

Yes! I'd be there to share a wing or leg haha

I've got a co-worker who's never eaten "freshwater clam" if ya know what I mean.

He's from Romania originally and claims it'll cause oral cancer. He's 45 and won't budge after all my well detailed, some good some bad experiences.

I've got a co-worker who's never eaten "freshwater clam" if ya know what I mean.

He's from Romania originally and claims it'll cause oral cancer. He's 45 and won't budge after all my well detailed, some good some bad experiences.

I am pretty sure California has proven that 40 to 50 year old Romanian freshwater clam DOES cause oral cancer.

DSC-6571.jpg

That one is only 30.

Back