One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a large percentage of Americans just don't like licorice. I know I don't.

Making it salty would not improve my bearing towards it.

:)

@aamcle, you make it sound like you've had low quality horse steak.

If so...where'd you get the horse meat? I'd like to try it.

I think a large percentage of Americans just don't like licorice. I know I don't.

Making it salty would not improve my bearing towards it.

Salmiakki is not licorice, licorice is made from licorice root, salmiakki is ammonium chloride.

it also makes an awesome vodka flavouring :mug:

Pardons. I goggled it and it said it was Finnish salty licorice. I am guessing it has a flavour akin to licorice/anise, but only because of that.

the ammonium chloride is very very strong flavoured, so the anise flavour that normal licorice has is totally gone.

It's impossible to describe, but totally worth trying at least once if you can get your hands on some. preferably starting with some milder ones instead of going straight for the pure or pepper/chili spiced ones :p

Confession: World-class and gas-station-class barbecue taste pretty much the same to me. A nice place tends to have better and more-innovative barbecue sauces, better breads if you're getting something sandwich style, and way better sides. The meat is probably worlds apart if your palate is tuned to barbecue, but to a rookie like me it basically all tastes like meat slathered in barbecue sauce.

Real Texas barbecue does NOT have sauce on it....because it doesn't need it. It is also not dried out, tough, or stringy. I allow pickles, onions, peppers, and on occasion simple white bread, Tortilla, or crackers.....if you want sauce, you can go home and get it! We get offended if someone asks for a knife or fork! But....you did get the rookie part right!

Heck, I make NC-style pork butt pulled BBQ that doesn't need sauce. Crazy Eastern NCers demand at least some peppered vinegar, though... makes me mad they won't even try it w/out sauce first.

Real Texas barbecue does NOT have sauce on it....because it doesn't need it. It is also not dried out, tough, or stringy. I allow pickles, onions, peppers, and on occasion simple white bread, Tortilla, or crackers.....if you want sauce, you can go home and get it! We get offended if someone asks for a knife or fork! But....you did get the rookie part right!

Real barbeque, anywhere. Not just Texas. BBQ is like beer--at first your fine with the Bud Light, but once you have an epiphany, you'll drive to the ends of the Earth for the "good stuff." Or, you learn how to make it home.

so you're saying no 'real' bbq requires sauce? sometimes the sauce is the whole point. Sometimes the rub.

Well, that's the rub (pun intended). No sauce on dry-rub ribs is necessary.

However, I would not make a blanket statement that no BBQ requires sauce. My pork butts that don't, I brine in molasses, water, and other stuff, then dry-rub. It's awesome as-is, but sauce doesn't hurt it. If going that route, a sweet-and-hot sauce works best. But, I also make some where I don't brine the butts first, and they need some help - whatever sauce you want, goes. KC-style, mustard based, vinegar based, or tomato based. They all work.

My ribs, I like to mop the whole time they are cooking. It builds up a glaze over the rub, and becomes its own sauce.

One day, I will try cooking brisket. I had some terrible stuff once at a chain BBQ place, and had some awesome brisket at a restaurant. I will reach out to my TX-brethren for help when/if I ever do.

The sauce should complement the meat - not define it. I love sauce but cringe when my brother insists on serving my leftover pulled pork by heating it in a pot of sauce.

The sauce should complement the meat - not define it. I love sauce but cringe when my brother insists on serving my leftover pulled pork by heating it in a pot of sauce.
I feel your despair.

Had ribs at a close by restaurant. They were boiled to an unappetizing grey, then had a horrible barbecue sauce poured over them. That was worse than a rotted New York strip I was served at a different local restaurant. The mushrooms were edible. (At least this place is out of business.)

A good friend has a premier dining place not to far away.

hmmm... I can't agree with you guys on BBQ. Again.. sometimes the sauce is the point. A Good BBQ sauce is an art form. I'm not talking squeezing out some Heinz on some microwaved pork. As with any time.. the meat should still be properly cooked.

That being said.. for getting back on topic. I would love to try any good BBQ from all the various states that are known for it. Including Texas :)

He's right about good pit bbq. Dry rub or a mop sauce to keep the meat moist. Or marinade. Properly low-n-slowed, no sauce is needed or wanted. That's why I insisted at age 8 or 9 that pop teach me how he did it. The Cooper's english bitter that's almost done fermenting makes a great mop sauce. Mop sauces are basically a lot like a marinade, thin & flavorful to keep meat moist & add another layer of flavor.

The real question here is....why is there left over pulled pork? I've never seen pulled pork last long enough to become left overs!

They were boiled to an unappetizing grey, then had a horrible barbecue sauce poured over them.

I absolutely can't stand boiled ribs. Sometimes the old lady does this, and the whole house just smells like boiled pork. I can't eat when I smell that.

I will take some homemade BBQ sauce & thin it out with beer for my mop.

;)

I'll admit I love ribs, but have never heard the term mop before.

what is it, and how does it work?

A mop is a liquid marinade brushed onto meat several times throughout your cook. The idea behind it is to keep the meat moisturized and add flavor. It can be anything from a simple apple juice to a special seasoning recipe.

BBQ sauce is a condiment, not an ingredient!

Back on topic: both interested and terrified to try puffer fish.

BBQ sauce is a condiment, not an ingredient!

Back on topic: both interested and terrified to try puffer fish.

I'd be willing to try it. All of my personal effects can fit onto the back of a pickup truck, so if anything goes wrong with the pufferfish, there isn't much to fight over.

Alligator, snake, farmer turtle, armadillo, something like that.
I'm from Western Canada, not sure why I wanna eat reptile

I had grilled rattlesnake medallions once. Like dry fish. It was a weird texture, too, slightly oily. Cross fishy-ness & gaminess, and that's what it tasted & smelled like.

:(

Pufferfish/fugu does sound intriguing...

Went out with some friends for Mid-Autumn Festival. There's a new restaurant in town selling rainbow trout raised in a local fish farm (first time I've seen trout in China!). Big suckers, they are - we got a medium-small fish compared to the average in their tank/pool, it was only eight pounds - over twice as big as the biggest rainbow I'd ever seen before. We ate it sashimi style alongside a dozen or so other dishes, but the trout was definitely the centerpiece - I'd never eated trout raw before, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat - better than salmon sashimi for sure.

I guess Houston and Dallas is all fake Texas barbecue, then. From gas station to Killen's (rated number two barbecue joint in the country according to some publication, for whatever that's worth), every barbecue place I've been to in Texas has had copious amounts of barbecue sauce on hand. Granted you have to put the sauce on yourself at most places...

Not trying to be combative - I am truly a rookie - but all of my experience with Texas barbecue included plenty of barbecue sauce so that's all I know, and even the best, most tender, moist, flavorful Texas barbecue I've had tasted better to me once I slathered it in sauce. I also like senf on my brats and hot sauce on my pizza, but don't try to put fresh citrus in my beer!

The real question here is....why is there left over pulled pork? I've never seen pulled pork last long enough to become left overs!

I absolutely can't stand boiled ribs. Sometimes the old lady does this, and the whole house just smells like boiled pork. I can't eat when I smell that.

I'll admit I love ribs, but have never heard the term mop before.

what is it, and how does it work?

This is why there are leftovers.....I rarely just do a small Boston Butt...my little electric smoker comfortably holds 3 10- pounders

View attachment 1443401482928.jpg

View attachment 1443401517180.jpg

those are pretty good for a smaller job.. and great for moving the meat around. but still pretty time consuming when you get into multiple shoulders.

Oh yeah, them too. I was talking about Cooper's across the street from Billy Bib's. Not downtown to Funkytown folks, but close enough for everyone here.

Ah. We used to hit up Risky's at the stockyards every once in a while but I'm not sure I ever visited Cooper's. I lived in Stephenville for a while, where the original Hard 8 was located and it was always a hit. Anytime family was in town, we usually headed there.

I've seen the bbq pit boys use something called " bear claws" that looks like it'd make short work of the job...

That's what I used in my restaurant, and still use today! Of course, I was only pulling 12 or so pork shoulders at a time then, and 2 at most now.

They did look like you could get a good rhythm going. Pull the blade & have at it! My family loves pulled pork, so maybe I should hunt'em down?

those are pretty good for a smaller job.. and great for moving the meat around. but still pretty time consuming when you get into multiple shoulders.

If you have one of those stand mixers with a paddle attachment, they do a fine job of pulling pork or chicken or beef....will shred it in seconds and mix in the sauce too if you want.

Back