one cider is bubbling away the other is doing nothing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunday I brewed 2 1 gallon batches of ciders. I used gallon cider from Stop and Shop because the local cider makers wont have any till Sept. In one cider I used 1 gal cider, 2c white sugar and 2c light brown sugar, 1tsp yeast nutrient and Champagne yeast with an og of 1.025 and is bubbling away just nicely. The other cider is 1 gal cider, 4oz molasses, 1tsp yeast nutrient and Nottingham yeast with an og of 1.085, its doing nothing. I know I haven't given them a ton of time, but I would think it would start doing something. Should I give it more time? add some more sugar?

1.025 OG is reaaaaally low. But, Nottingham will frement slower then champagne yeast, dont worry. But with the one with champagne yeast, that is almost 2 pounds sugar for 1 gallon. (2.25 cups of white sugar is ~ 1 pound) I put 2 cups sugar into my 2 gal batches and I end up with ~8% cider. Enjoy your rocket fuel sir!

Back