One Cent Pale Ale critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpeterseufl

Reaction score
I'm looking for some more experience brewers to critique my pale ale.

I make 3-gallon, brew-in-the-bag batches.

6# two row
.25# Crystal 40
.25# Munich

.33oz. centennial 60 min
.33oz. centennial 30 min
.33oz. centennial 1 min

Nottingham yeast.

OG ~ 1.055
IBU~40

I know the grain bill is fairly standard. I'm more concerned with the hop bill. I have an ounce of centennial. Is there a better way to divide the ounce up? I find that my brews don't have the hop flavor I'm looking for, so I don't want to reduce the 30 minute addition. What are your thoughts?

If your looking for more hop flavor you should move the 30 min. addition up to at least 20 min.

The 30 min addition is not contributing much, if any, hop flavor.

Hmmm...I always thought the 30 min. addition was the ideal flavor time. Was I misguided?

Hmmm...I always thought the 30 min. addition was the ideal flavor time. Was I misguided?

I've never heard it even AS a flavor addition, let alone the ideal flavor addition.

For bitterness, 60 minute additions are great. For flavor, I like 15 minute additions. For aroma, 1 or 0 additions are perfect.

To me, a 30 minute addition is "wasted", in a way. You don't get the full bittering effect, since it takes longer for the hops oils to be more fully isomerized. You don't get flavor, since it boils a bit too long to really get any flavor. I rarely use a 30 minute addition, unless I want to raise up my IBUs slightly.

If you only want to use an ounce of hops, I'd probably do .5 ounce bittering, .25 at 15 minutes and .25 at flame out, depending on the AAUs of the hops. If you have a higher enough AAU, I'd do .33 ounce at 60, .33 at 15, and .33 at flame out.

The clone of Summit EPA, one of my favorite beers, in BYO calls for an addition of cascade and fuggles at 30 minutes. That may have led me astray. I'm done with 30 min additions from now on. Thanks for the advice.

Back