??? on later ferm temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztkdt

Reaction score
I've only room for one carboy in my swamp cooler. I currently have BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale in it, and it has been 3 days and from the looks of it, primary ferm is over. Krausen has dropped, airlock activity almost non-existent.

I want to brew a porter this weekend. You guys think it will be okay for me to take the Oktoberfast ale out of the swamp cooler, allowing it to remain at room temp (70 degrees F) for the next few weeks? I'm using #S-04 with it. Kept it mid to low 60's up until now, and will for the next few days (through this weekend at least).

My first couple of brews I didn't use the swamp cooler at all, and the beers are all poor. Don't want to make the same mistake with this one. If not, I will wait until I bottle until I brew again, but I wanted to get that porter going because I know it may need to condition for a while.

Its probably ok, the first few days is the most important during fermentation. But, really if you can find ANYTHING that can hold water you'd be better off having two of them going. A rubbermaid tote, a cooler, your bathtub, etc.

You should be fine as long as the ambient temp room temp is 70 degrees. It is during active fermentation where temperature control is the most critical...after that I don't sweat it (within reason of course).

You'll be just fine moving the OktoberFast. S-04 is estery once it gets too warm, but primary fermentation should be over for you by then and that's when it really matters for getting off flavors. Your room temp could actually help it drop another point or two. Many people who use S-04 slowly raise their temps up to 70ish after primary fermentation is complete to help it finish out.

Back